Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CTY file size

They seem to grow and grow.. but never get smaller.

Ive compacted with Access with little success.

It seems that deleted files maybe stay forever? What is making them so big?

I have a simple website that is now a 12MB CTY file with no large files in it.

How can I reclaim this space?

Chad Z. Hower
Thursday, March 27, 2003

Compact Site from the File menu in CityDesk?

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, March 27, 2003

For the record, my .cty file is 2.32mb and my site is 3.76mb I guess all those templates being applied to articles takes up a lot of space.

I just compacted it and it's down 1.86mb.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, March 27, 2003

Wow thanks. I looked through the menus, but never saw it hiding down by the exit. :)

Chad Z. Hower
Friday, March 28, 2003

Chad,
I would be interested in knowing if the compact site feature really made your site any smaller after you compacted with access because that is exactly what Compact Site is- it is using access' compact feature. Let me know how much smaller it got. My company's website is now at 113MB. Of course, we have a lot of online documentation and stuff.

Tara
Friday, March 28, 2003

"Wow thanks. I looked through the menus, but never saw it hiding down by the exit. :) "

Sounds like a bad UI choice for that item then.

Tara - 113mb... EEK! how's the performance?

www.marktaw.com
Friday, March 28, 2003

"Compact Site" also deletes deleted items from the database. Until you do that, if you delete something, we just flag it as "deleted."

Joel Spolsky
Saturday, March 29, 2003

The performance of the site is fine.
Citydesk takes a while to preview and publish, which is annoying, but at the moment I am willing to deal.

Tara
Thursday, April 03, 2003

It definitely becomes a challenge do deal with large sites because the "publish" process has to chomp through all files even for trivial changes.  Not sure how this can get a lot faster, but it would be nice.  Compilers figured out how to deal with "precompiled headers" and put a lot more stuff in memory to eliminate the disk activity.

www.valleyofthegeeks.com is somewhere around 499 files :-) in a 5.3 mb CTY file so it takes nearly a minute and a half to publish to my local web server.  For minor changes, it's kind of a pain, since I invariably have to fix a few things and do 2-3 iterations. 

I'm hoping that V 2.0 does something more clever here so that it knows only to deal with files that have changed, rather than have to check all this stuff.  CityDesk is great, but I'm hoping for some performance improvements here.  Ok, and I'll buy a new machine when V2.0 comes out also. 

--Zack

Zack
Friday, April 04, 2003

I agree that it can be a bit annoying sometimes when CD works it's way through several hundred files after a small correction somewhere, BUT ... CD plays it safe (i.e. when in doubt: Check the file) and that's what matters most to me. One or two minutes of my time is nothing compared to the problems I would get if the sites didn't work as expected.

Jorgen Brenting
Friday, April 04, 2003

Yeah, it couldn't just check changed files because one added file could affect every other page. I don't mind it taking a couple of minutes for citydesk to do it's thing... it seems reasonable for very large sites. Just think of the processing save on your server for not having to compile every page request!

www.marktaw.com
Friday, April 04, 2003

This one is 23 megs: http://ahoy.tk-jk.net

It's not the publish times that get me, it's how long it takes to insert an image, to compact the site, or to drag in images.  It's not a terribly long time, but there is a noticible lag.  I always wonder if I've crashed the program.

tk
Friday, April 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home