Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature Request: Template Mover

While developing the site for my client, it has become obvious that I need a utitlity to move newly developed (and modified) Templates from a development CTY file to the production CTY file.

I was hoping that the CopyBoy software would provide this functionality, but, alas, it does not.

As far as I am aware, the only way to transfer Templates from one CTY file to another is the tedious and error-prone cut-and-paste mechanism.

In the real world, where bug-fixes and modifications are done on a development system before being put into production, there must be a way to manage this transition in a more professional manner than cut-and-paste.

Hopefully I am simpy unaware of the proper way to do this.  If so, I trust someone will tell me how to do it.  Otherwise, I encourage Fog Creek to consider this to be a high priority item in any new release.

Joel Finkel
Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Create different template families with different publish locations - development / production.

This only works if you have access to THE .cty file.

www.marktaw.com

I just looked at copyboy.  It has a tab called Import Templates.  It will copy all the templates from another cty file into the one you have open.  Is that what you are trying to do?

Joel Goldstick

CopyBoy will not overwrite existing Templates with modified Templates.

Mike Gunderloy, who wrote CopyBoy, has verified this behavior.

Joel Finkel

I just had a look at the CopyBoy source code for the first time in a good long while. At this point, I'm somewhat scared to touch it, but I *think* overwriting templates on import is a small change.

So, I added a checkbox to the Import Templates tab to give you an overwrite option. You can download the tweaked CopyBoy from http://www.larkware.com/Products/CopyBoyBeta.exe

This version has NOT been through more than rudimentary testing. I think it works, but I do not guarantee anything. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bck up your data first.

Mike Gunderloy
Friday, March 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home