Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature request : another date field

I publish a church website, which contains a lot of reports of meetings, events, and suchlike. These have two dates naturally associated with them :
- the date of the event or meeting
- the date the report was published or updated

So I'm asking for another date field with features (sorting, etc) identical to fileddate.

I'm generally against extra special-purpose features, but I think this one is justified because you can't get the semantics of a date field using a text field, and having only one is rather limiting.

Michael Wild
Wednesday, March 26, 2003

I could use this too. I'd think anyone who does any kind of event listing would find it helpful. How about being able to set the time for this filed as well. I currently use the filedate and the date formatting features to show concert dates in different formats on a summary listing and a detail page at different places on my site.

www.rso.cornell.edu/folksong

Ken McKinney

You could use one of the Extra fields for this if you specify the dates in yyyy-mm-dd format (e.g. 2003-03-27).  Then you can sort by that field descending or ascending, and have your list of reports ordered properly.

Does this achieve what you're trying to do?

Darren Collins

I use date formating to have event dates apear in different formats in different places - "4/5/03" in a summary listing "Saturday April 5th" in a more detailed listing - without having to enter the date twice.  Using fileddate for this is works but I'd like to be able to use that other things - like a correct last updated date.  I'd like to be able to include the vent time as part of the date as well since that would free up another field. Currently my concert listings us all the available fields on an article. 

Ken McKinney
Friday, March 28, 2003

That's my problem too - on some types of article I've already used all the fields. Also, typing in dates is prone to error - I have enough trouble making sure I don't misspell keywords!

Michael Wild
Saturday, March 29, 2003

I agree.

I need a field for showing when the article was last updated. So, next to Filed Date, Updated Date.

Paul Iliano
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home