Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CD2 gossip

It is dangerous to draw conclusions from tiny bits of information, but since "dangerous" is my middle name:

from www.joelonsoftware.com.

Unlike trade magazine reviewers, I still spend about 50% of my time doing software development, and I’m happy to try the latest toys if I think they will help. For example, this week I’m going to try to implement a basic image editor into CityDesk using http://www.leadtools.com/

---> a (basic) built in image editor for citydesk. That is good news for usability and bad news since if this kind of stuff is still under investigation CD2 is a long way from release (since that takes 3+ months ?)

Adriaan van den Brand
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Who needs an image editor added to CD? IrfanView is free,fast, and does all the basic manipulations you might need.

Michael Wild
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Irfan view ? every user can say: "such feature is useless because utilitary "YYYY" -  that I know very well of course - does the job."

the problem is that all these utilities seem to be known by few persons, generally with rather high IT skills. Many end users prefer to use "basic functionalities" into the same program without to deal with opening multiple windows of multiple applications. They don't want to spend time fetching "the good add on", "the right utility shareware", and learn a new UI, for performing "simple" operations.

A "basic image editor" could be very useful to many people. When editing a web page with an image included, authors sometime want to resize it, crop the margins, correct brightness (or red eyes), change background transparency, convert a BMP file to Gif or Jpeg... These are very simple "Iphoto-like" operations (we dont deal with redesign or complex image transformation here), and many site contributors want to do it without opening photoshop, PSP,  or anything else.

So it seems to be a good move. Every one may have his own Idea if it's a "high priority" feature to implement or not, but I suppose FC has performed statistics on their feedback to determine what is more important to their customers and what is not.

What it means for the release date is another story... But I won't draw any conclusion too (my former personal conclusions from such "tiny bits of information" have proven to be always false !)

Vincent Benard
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

In my opinion, fixing bugs in the editor so it will not trash your input and adding scripting functionality will provide the most bang for the buck.

I could see image editing functionality useful CityDesk automatically sized imported images to your preferences and made thumbnails for you.  These are difficult things for beginners as they often import huge images for use on the web.

David Burch
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

It seems that Mr Spolsky is playing with the idea of constructing a battleship while many of his former customers would be more than happy just to see the most obvious bugs being removed.

Jorgen Brenting
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

It is, of course, entirely possible the Joel is doing exploratory programming for possible CD3 features, and that CD2 is in locked-down bug-fix mode. We just don't know.

Mike Gunderloy
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

I think Mike is correct.  I think Fog is working on several releases and planning further releases.

tk
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

It might very well be that tk is one of the most positive and optimistic people in this forum. I like that :o)

Jorgen Brenting
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

It might also that Joel was just evaluating tools for his column; tools that might in some way mesh with CityDesk.

David Burch
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

It might also be that the LeadTools plug-in doesn't require much effort to integrate into CityDesk. Joel's not talking about writing an image editor from scratch, just dropping in a component that already does it.

Darren Collins
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

While an integrated image editor is not a bad thing, I agree, there are far more vexing problems that should be addressed in CD 2.  I can make use of FireWorks right now to do all the image editing I want.  What I'd really like in CD is

1. more reliable editing
2. more bug fixes
3. more automation of tedious tasks.

Every week, I spend an hour updating www.valleyofthegeeks.com to put two new stories on the home page, add the appropriate images (by hand), add a "related links" section etc. 

If CD 2 can enable me to get an hour's worth of make work completed in, say 15 minutes, then it's a good upgrade.

Oh yes, and please do away with the 500 file limit.  This is a pain in the neck.  Honestly, should I just remove my "built in CityDesk" logo to stay under the limit?  I don't need an enterprise version, just something without limits.  And without bugs.

Joel, what would really be helpful is if you told your loyal customers at least what your priorities are for version 2.0.  I don't expect detailed features or dates, but some general areas of focus would be nice.  That way maybe we'll be "outrageously happy" as opposed to in the dark.

--Zack

Zack Urlocker
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Why do people assume that Joel is working on an image editor *instead* of fixing bugs and improving the HTML editor?

Maybe the Fog Creek people have already got those bugs and core feature improvements under control (not finished, but under control). So while the other guys are working on that, Joel might be using a bit of his free time to explore adding an image editor.

Darren Collins
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Yes, maybe they are doing all the right things.  However, given the lack of communications, that's anyone's guess.  I have found that in the absence of information, people just make stuff up.

--Zack

Zack Urlocker
Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Part of the answer may be on http://www.joelonsoftware.com:

Wednesday, March 26, 2003
Not bad: about four hours of work to implement a picture editor with crop, resize, rotate, undo, and save.

I'm glad Joel does not seem to have the 'Not invented here syndom'.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, March 27, 2003

But the bugs – the BUGS! I hope Mr Spolsky gets a touch of the 'My Company Fixes Bugs in it's Own Programs' syndrome real soon now.

Jorgen Brenting
Thursday, March 27, 2003

Who says the bug fixes aren't being tested as he's implementing new features?

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, March 27, 2003

I give up!

Jorgen Brenting
Friday, March 28, 2003

Joel did break his "total radio silence" credo though in mentioning that he's working on a graphics editor for CD.

It makes me think he's going the M$ route and making CD all things to all people.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, March 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home