Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Permalinks

Hi,

Currently my site is organised into two main sections. An archives section, which is folder, that contains sub folders for each month in a year (eg: jan2002, feb2002 ...). An index.html page use City Script to generate a table of contents for the archives, listed under month name headings.

The main or current part of my site, lives in a folder called plan. I create new articles in this folder, and an index.html file in this folder uses City Script to generate the main page of my site.

When I archive material, I just move the article to the appropriate subfolder in the archives folder.

Is there an easy way for me to create permalinks in all my articles? Obviously these shouldnt change when I move articles to the archives folder.

Any help or insights you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Krishna Kotecha
Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Create the article in the folder it will stay in and create your index the way I do - via keywords. Here is the exact code from my homepage:

{$foreach 10 x in (keyword_contains "(news)") sortdescendby .fileddate$}
<P><A href="{$x.link$}">{$x.headline$}</A><BR>
  <span class="teaser">{$ setDateTimeFormat "English" "MM/dd/yy" "hh:mm" $} {$x.filedDate$} <br>
  {$x.teaser$}</span> </P>
{$next$}

www.marktaw.com

So any article that will go on the homepage I just add (news) and it goes.

You can do the reverse of this and do a (not (keyword_contains "index") ) and only add keywords to the indexes on your site, but that logic gets a bit more convoluted.

www.marktaw.com

Excellent. Thanks for your help!

Krishna Kotecha

sure! glad to be of help!

www.marktaw.com

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home