Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Around url 25 character length limit?

I have an existing site that I am testing out using citydesk on. I have some pages on there that have long urls. Is there anyway to get CityDesk to respect my name and let me use a url longer than 25 chars?

Phillip Harrington
Thursday, March 13, 2003

I confirm that 25 is a bit short for recuperation of old sites which may have long urls. Not a problem if you import an old site, but a problem if you want to re-create pages into city desk content managed file base with the same URLS as before, or if you want to create content managed redirection pages from an old page to a new one.

(My longest "old site filename" I would like to reuse is about 31 chars long, but most of them are under 25)

But is there a "good" limit ? If a next release says "OK, let's let 40 chars in the file name", there will always be someone who will say: "huh, I need 50chars because my old site has very very long filenaaaaames."

A little voice tells me that the answer to this question is not so simple.

Vincent Benard
Friday, March 14, 2003

User definable limit? As long as changing it doesn't break old links.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, March 14, 2003

This is not so simple as browsers and web servers have hard-coded maximum lengths for the entire URL. 

I imagine, even in the current version of CityDesk, one could run into the problem of too long a URL by having a site with a deep level of folders.

David Burch
Friday, March 14, 2003

We do chop it at 25, because we want you to be able to use meaningful names for your articles in the treeview and still generate plausible URLs.

Neat trick: did you know that anything you put in parentheses in the article name won't become part of the URL? So if you have an article named

(The) Importance (of) Being (Earnest)

the URL will be ImportanceBeing.html. This is also a way to put comments next to the names of articles and use some of that silly whitespace in the main window for something profitable.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, March 14, 2003

The philosophy of limitations to 25 chars is OK for new pages. Url are clearer, and less prone being broken in two lines when sent be e-mail.

The problem happens only when we want to reuse old urls from our old sites that may have long "hand created urls", like
0816-utilisabilite-regles.html

it's stupid, but there are 26 chars before the  dot. so if I create an article with this name in the main window, the filename will be truncated at: 0816-utilisabilite-regle.html - search engines and people who bookmarked the page may be lost.

In my particular case it's not a big problem because I have only 5 or 6 old pages like that, so I can import the file as an non-content-managed file (won't be truncated if I remember well, didn't test this for a while...) and create by hand a redirection to  a new page which will be managed by the CD database and included in foreach loops. 20 minutes of work, it's OK.

But I suppose that there may be some people who have old sites with many files with long names like
20030224-why-is-the-sky-so-blue-in-southern-mexico.html

and my workaround won't work for them. too painful for many files. 

Vincent Bénard
Saturday, March 15, 2003

The workaround being creating dummy .html pages (not articles) that link to the new page?

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, March 15, 2003

Addition to marktaw's remark:
If you do not use a 0 sec. redirect but pause for 5 seconds and explain that the page has moved, it will please search engines and prompt your readers to bookmark the new address when they arrive at the new page. Make the explanation itself a link to the new page.

Jorgen Brenting
Saturday, March 15, 2003

I was so obsessed by "importation of existing" that I forgot I could directly create simple long-name Html dummy files.

It was obvious and I missed it. Dummy user. thanks mark !

Vincent Bénard
Saturday, March 15, 2003

In the words of the doors from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy... "Glad to be of service."

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, March 15, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home