Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How much will you pay for CD upgrade?

As for myself, I'm anxious to see what the next will bring.  I've gotten used to working with it as is, CD still by and large exceeds my modest needs.

But, I fully expect to pay for the upgrade.  I may be wrong but I recall reading in JOS that an upgrade had to be good enough that folks would be willing to pay for it.  It has to be more much more than the fixes of a year ago.  I'm confident that it will be.  I think we'll have a better product after one 18 month cycle than after six 3 month cycles.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000017.html

"Microsoft generally charged about $30 for an upgrade to their $500 software packages until somebody noticed that the growth from new users was running out, and too many copies were being bought as upgrades to justify the low price. Which got us to where we are today, with upgrades generally costing 50%-60% of the price of the full version and making up the majority of the sales."

tk
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Let's see the upgrade first. :)

Jorgen Brenting
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Dang, now we're discussing how much to pay for vaporware!  ;-)

Amos
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

If the upgrade is good, no problem to pay for it. Software makers don't work for free.

wishes:

- there will always be a free version to evaluate the value of upgrade

- v2 won't be more expensive than v1, if possible less expensive, and  upgrade will be only about 50% of the full purchase.

- it won't come after november 2005 ;-)

Vincent Bénard
Wednesday, March 12, 2003

My company owns a professional version. The current site might just fit in a home version (500 files), however will certainly not work with the current free 50-file version....

So there is more to evaluation (of the vaporware).

Adriaan van den Brand
Wednesday, March 12, 2003

I bought CD 1.0 for $99.  I would gladly pay the same again to have newer functionality, greater reliability, less manual HTML editing, and few workarounds.  But it's got to eliminate the 500 file limit, or at least double it.

--Zack

Zack Urlocker
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home