Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Can CD create index.shtml instead of index.html?

Is there a way to have CD create the index page with a .shtml extension instead of the default .html ?

Also, other than editing the HTML while creating an article, is there a way for CD to insert a break instead of starting a new paragraph when hitting ENTER while editing?  Sometimes I'd like to drop down a single line before starting a new sentence instead of two.

Chris
Sunday, March 09, 2003

Ctrl-Enter for a <br>

File extension is a template "property" that you can change.

So you can create a template called "home" with an .shtml extension and assign your index article to the "home" template.

tk
Sunday, March 09, 2003

Thanks for the CTRL-ENTER tip.

Unfortunately, renaming my template, that's assigned to my index page, to use the .shtml extension didn't work.  The template I'm referring to is associated to index only.  After changing its extension to .shtml, and previewing the site, it was still looking for index.html and displayed only the list of documents & folders of my site.

Chris
Sunday, March 09, 2003

tk,
Nevermind...my stupidity.
When previewed it doesn't display the .shtml file...but once published it does.  Local view doesn't support .shtml as a default doc on my PC, but my host does.

Thanks!

Chris
Sunday, March 09, 2003

If you type the index.shtml (to replace index.html) in the address field of the preview window, I think you can preview it as well.  CityDesk preview aims you at the index.html but I'm sure the .shtml file is there.

tk
Sunday, March 09, 2003

It may help to map .shtml extension to HTML type and internet explorer. That way you can preview single pages in CD provided there is not much in SSI etc.

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, March 10, 2003

IF this is an HTML file & not an article, CityDesk should create both an index.html and index.shtml - you'll just have to type in the s to get to it, or link one to the other with a redirect or something.

Be sure to add .shtml to the file types that process CityScript.

If it's an article & you just want the one to be a .shtml, create a new template that's just a copy of another template and make the extention for that template ".shtml".

www.marktaw.com - posting while on vacation (I have some down time)
Monday, March 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home