Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

EarsOpen, MouthOpen, FingersBusy at CityDesk

I have seen signs that CityDesk is listening and even some promises that the next version of CityDesk is coming and will include at least some of the asked for features.

For example, just in the topics of the current discussion board screen I see two replies:  Michael H. Pryor, who I assume is a/the CityDesk developer has responded to feature requests:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=5472&ixReplies=3

Joel also has been responding to some of the "drum beating," here:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=5673&ixReplies=11

I would even take Joel's recent e-mail only article about the design decisions that went into this discussion forum as a response, in his own fashion, of criticisms of this board.

I'm certain that many of us are Software Developers and have bitched, moaned and complained when our companies have been stupid enough to bow to customer pressure and rush to market an inferior product.  Many companies give in to customer pressure and just give the customers what they asked for, even if it is not well thought out, ready for use, or even what the customers really want.

I understand that a year is a long time to wait.  However, I would rather CityDesk take their time and get it right than deliver up a 2.junk release.

I would also like to say that if they are redesigning the HTML editor (using code from scratch) and improving the scripting (adding JavaScript or otherwise) that those are huge changes and, added to the other bug fixes and features, justify a long wait for the new release.

We all knew, or with the trial version of CityDesk we should have known, the current state and feature set of CityDesk.  We have only ourselves to blame for using CityDesk if it does not have the features we require. 

I think the reasons most of us are so upset that there is not a new CityDesk release are
1) we know what a great product it currently is,
2) we also know of its bugs and shortcomings, and
3) we are very impatient because we do not know exactly what is going on and we feel we have a vested interest in seeing CityDesk become the product we envision it could be.

That's how I feel anyway.

David Burch
Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Some are complaining about CD2 - but most of us are complaining about the lack of response (in some cases, but improved recently) and time to fix bugs in CD1.

I dont agree with the way CD2 is being "managed", but I dont have a big beef over it either. Lets just call that one a difference of opinion. Its their product, so its their choice.

However the blatant disregard for existing users of CD1 relating to bugs, is very wrong.

Chad Z. Hower
Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Chad, are you talking about bugs in that CityDesk doesn't work in the way it was designed to work, or by bugs do you mean "CityDesk doesn't do what I want it to do."

Because they've been very responsive about the former. The latter, however, they're less responsive about, but that's a decision on their part & their reasoning is public knowledge.

This isn't MacroMedia where I knew about their CM system when it was a broken little collection of scripts because I was on the beta team. Different company, different philosophy.

CD rocks as-is and I've been very happy with it. I'm sure CD2 will rock as well.

www.marktaw.com - posting while on vacation (I have some down time)
Monday, March 10, 2003

Once upon a time there was a man from Fog Creek promising that bugs would get fixed every three month or so. Now, this happened a long time ago and no one has heard from this man ever since. And all the people in Fog Creek County got very worried, not only because of the radio silence from the Castle, but even more because they loved the slender little CD so much that they had already married her and made a living out of her.

Jorgen Brenting
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

No, Im speaking about BUGs.

There were some older bugs that did get fixed, but only after an immense amount of moaning from the users.

And there are some newer bugs as well. Not as drastic as some of the older ones, but some are still painful.

Chad Z. Hower
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home