Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Another CD Bug!?

Enter this tag:
<TD align=center valign=middle>

CD will rewrite it to this, which is invalid!
<TD align=middle valign=center>

When might we expect a fix? Or will the anti-extreme programming practice force us to live with this in the real world for 10 years?

Perfect software might take 10 years, but surely highly visible bug fixes should not?

Chad Z. Hower
Sunday, March 02, 2003

That's a bug in the underlying HTML editing control, which didn't come from Fog Creek. I seem to recall that FC has said they're planning to replace the editor.

And if you hate CD so much, why not go buy a copy of HomeSite? (Not really sarcasm: unless your postings here are just one side of your CD experience, it seems like it's just not the right tool for you. It isn't for everything; I use CD for one of my sites where the model fits, but don't try to cram the others into its constraints).

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, March 02, 2003

You should really learn to relax Chad.

john cesta
Sunday, March 02, 2003

Ive mentioned before - CD is really the only game in town.

I like CD - I dont like how its managed by its developers.

I've posted about little bugs in the past, and rarely do they ever get commented on by the developers let alone acknowledged. Then we are left to languish without even any ETA's on a fix.

Then were told that "This is how software should be developed".

THIS is what I disagree with.

Chad Z. Hower
Sunday, March 02, 2003

BTW - I dont remember having this trouble prior to SP2. Are you sure its not something they can address?

Chad Z. Hower
Sunday, March 02, 2003

Chad, I want to give you some advise. I recognize that once you do some serious sites with citydesk, you will bump on to some problems and limitations. I have done so too. But it does help to make a paradigm shift:
- don't focus on the limitations of Citydesk
- do try to unleash the power of citydesk

I never use normal mode for editing CD templates. Use the HTML or an external editor. Make backups before editing (by copy/pasting it in another template or backing up the database).

Cityscript is powerful, especially in combination with server side scripting! Use foreach to create an array and a PHP/ASP script can do magic with it!

Adriaan van den Brand
Sunday, March 02, 2003

As for this bug... as some of you know, CityDesk does not generate HTML itself, we rely on the DHTML editing component of Internet Explorer. So this is technically a Microsoft bug.

I don't consider that a good enough excuse, so we are planning to switch to a newer editing component, also from Microsoft, called MSHTML, which, we suspect, is less buggy. We hadn't done so in the past because it required IE 5.01 which was not yet predominant enough.

I can't say for sure when we'll make the switch.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, March 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home