Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Script WAY too limited

Will we see any improvements that the script portion becomes at least as powerful as .bat files?

The scripting option as it is, is nearly useless for anything above VERY trivial.

Chad Z. Hower
Friday, February 28, 2003

I agree with the need for better scripting, however, I feel that the scripting is ok for 80% of the most important tasks.

The very trivial parts are 80% of the work....

Adriaan van den Brand

I dont expect it to be a full blown scripting engine, but it is nearly useless - it cannot

1) Iterate files the current directory

2) Does not support basic string comparisons.

Chad Z. Hower

I can't see why it should be so difficult to plug an established scripting language into the page generator.  I would expect the "guts" of the product to be the storage system and most of the development effort placed on the GUI used by the editors.

I am coming from an environment in which very large CMS/CDS were used.  CityDesk has some really nice features.  It is a nicely sized tool that fits comfortably into one's hand.  The script limitations can be overcome to make it a much better product.

A larger issue to me is that scripting is only allowed in the Body.  If one wants to put any in the other sections (eg, Extra1), it must be placed in a variable.  I think each of the document sections should be parsed in the same manner by the page generator, thereby evaluating scripts everywhere.

Joel Finkel

Somewhere a while back Joel mentioned that version 2 will us JavaScript.

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, March 01, 2003

But  'version 2' is mentioned for over a year already!

Adriaan van den Brand
Saturday, March 01, 2003

And it might be anotehr 10.

Chad Z. Hower
Saturday, March 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home