Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Default Templates?

Hi Guys,

Great program! I've only been using it for the past couple of hours, but it looks like a winner.

I think there needs to be a few default templates bundled with the program, like MS include with FrontPage (which can be spotted a mile away :)

It may be a bit daunting for first timers having to create their own templates from scratch. Once they deploy a site using a default template and get over that first speed bump, novices should then have the confidence to build their own templates.

Perhaps Fog Creek should run a competition inviting designers to come up with some killer templates?

Daniel Hill
Friday, November 16, 2001

Good idea!

The problem I've always had with templates is that nobody ever likes the ones you ship :) And if you have a good one, everybody uses it, and then nobody wants to use it, because everybody else is already using it ... ! the frontPage dilemma.

Maybe after we ship we can put a template gallery up on the Fog Creek web site.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, November 16, 2001

Supplying a sample template library is a great idea. People can customize the sample templates by modifying colors and moving things around, and they can learn from the scripts that you've prepared. It just makes it easier for people to get their first site up and running.

Elan Dekel
Saturday, November 17, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home