Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How many files?

How can I tell how many files I have? I dont need multi user (Well I would it if could do it over the internet and not  using a LAN).

But Im worried about the 500 file limit, so Ive split into "sections". How can I determine how many files I have in my big one?

Chad Z. Hower
Thursday, February 27, 2003

I don't think CityDesk has that built in anywhere that is accessible by the end user.  Currently, I don't know of anyway to get it other than publishing to disk and writing a script to recurse down the publish directory counting files.

David Burch

I think you can do it this way:

Publish a file copy of your site. Use Windows Explorer to: right-click on the folder where you published it and select "Properties." That will give you a file count.  Of course it won't count any unpublished articles you have.

tk

Does anybody else think the arbitrary file limit is silly & Fog should find another way to differentiate between versions? I understand a 50 file trial version, but paying users shouldn't have to worry about suddenly losing functionality.

Perhaps with the next version they'll be able to offer a tiered license that limits functionality & not file numbers.

www.marktaw.com

I thought you counted the files in the xml file

joel Goldstick

YES! I think the 500 file limit is not realistic. I dont need any of the team support etc. So basically I am being asked to fork out an additional $300 so I can keep my site in one file.

:(

Chad Z. Hower

As a pricing model, I do not think a 500-file limited version of CityDesk for $80 is unreasonable.  I think most novice user web sites will never reach that level.  In fact, the free version will work great for a lot of brochure-type web sites where content changes frequently but the file count remains low.

I think $350 is a bit high for the unlimited version, but then again, I cannot find anything else that does what it does--at any price.  When you download CityDesk you get an e-mail offering a discounted price of something like $261(?), if you buy within a certain time frame.

I bought CityDesk for the sole purpose of getting a handle on a 1,000+ page site.  CityDesk (and a conversion from HTML to articles by Lark's CopyBoy) allowed me to do in a couple of months, what I had not been able to do in a year.  Ten months of my time plus having the site in a nice manageable, templated content management system is worth a lot to me.

Sure there are lots of bugs--mostly with the third party DHTML editor.  Sure there are lots of things I would like to see added: better scripting, an editor that doesn't trash your codes, and better folder and file support for starters.  But what it does it does well, and intuitively and there is nothing else like it on the market.

David Burch

I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to remove the file count limit (not just increase the limit - remove it). But I don't need all that multiuser stuff, so $350 is too much for me.

Perhaps $99 or so for an unlimited file count? I'd go for that.

Darren Collins

I agree with Darren,

I'd pay a little more, but $200-$300 is too much. I think CD is purchased by many private parties (i.e. non business users). So the price of the unlimite version is pretty much out of reach.

I can see not including network features, but the 500 file limit is not a good thing.

Bob

Robert Pawlak
Friday, February 28, 2003

I figure once they release CityDesk 2, they can release a stripped down version for around $100, and a pro version around $350.

What would this stripped down version be like? Well, basically CityDesk 1 without any file limits & without multi-user. Obviously with a lot of the major gripes repaired as well.

The pro users will get the new scripting engine, multi-user, user-definable fields, and any other bells & whistles they decide to throw in.

Old users should be able to upgrade @ a discount, of course. Otherwise CityDesk 1 pro users won't understand why they paid $350 for something that's now worth $100.

The $89 CityDesk is just a sort of super-extended evaluation version, imho. If it's to be considered a 'blogger' for example, you're bound to eventually run out of posts.

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, March 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home