Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Bug Report

Bug Report
==========

The problem:
Pasting a copied article into a folder results in a -# being added the the filename prefix, even if an article of the same name does not exist in the folder.

Steps to reproduce:
1) Start CityDesk
2) File >> New Site
3) Click to select Articles Folder.  Click new article and name it index.
4) Click to select the newly created index file and choose Edit >> Copy.
5) Click to select the Images Folder; Choose Edit >> Paste.
6) Double-click to open the new index article in the Images folder.  Click on Preview and preview the resultant HTML file in a browser.  Notice the name is index-2.html, a name that you cannot get rid of using the CityDesk interface.

Why this is a problem:
Say you have 50 or so index pages that you need a similar foreach loop (which cannot be stuffed into a variable) or fielded information inside.  So you copy and paste the files but URLS like http://mydomain.com/newfolder/ will not work, because the name is index-2.html instead of index.html.

This also prevents you from setting up a prefilled template for a customer to copy and paste to create new entries.

David Burch
Tuesday, February 25, 2003

This is a funny quirk, but I've found that renaming the article to anything and then renaming it back to 'index' gets the publish name back to index.html.

Darren Collins

As a bonus tip, I name use comments in my index file article names. So the index file in the Articles directory would be named 'index (Articles)'. The stuff in the brackets is stripped off when it is turned into an html filename, and it helps me to tell the articles apart when I've got a couple of index articles open at the same time.

Darren Collins

Thanks for the workaround to the bug.  I've tested it and it works in my case as well.

David Burch

This product sure has a bunch of these bugs/quirks.  But it is still better than anything else I have tried. 

David Burch

I had a similar but different problem a while back when I had an "index" folder. It had to rename any articles I may have named "index" in case I didn't have an extention on articles & published to an environment where the folder "index" and a file "index" couldn't live in the same location.

It was frustrating for a while trying to figure out why my "index" article was continually published as "index-2.html".

www.marktaw.com

Often the index.html name is taken by a deleted article.
You can see those things with copyboy.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, February 27, 2003

Adriaan,

Maybe in some cases index.html is taken by a deleted file, but not in this case.  These are new folders in a brand new site: Create a new CityDesk copy the index.html and past it into the images folder and zap: index-2.html.

BTW: I do love CopyBoy and would not have been able to convert my 1,000 + page city to CityDesk with CopyBoy's HTML -> Article conversion capability.  The publish name change feature has also helped me with this problem.

I hope the next version of CityDesk includes ALL the CopyBoy functionality as it is sorely lacking.

David Burch
Thursday, February 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home