Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

City Desk Publishing Problem--corrupt .cty?

City Desk Preview/Publishing Problem:

I have a web site with 540 articles and one html page--index.html.
Today I encountered a publishing problem where the index.html and all its files are being published, images, .css stylesheets and everything but the 540 articles are being published.  This happens, with all variations of Preview and Publishing to disk.  The articles are copied to the disk as blank HTML pages, no template, no content, nada, just this:
    <!-- Published by Fog Creek Software CityDesk YFMILEYAGEVKUARC/F892E881/1814 -->
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML><HEAD>
    <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=unicode">
    <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    <BODY></BODY></HTML>

I have eleven other CityDesk sites which are publishing correctly.
I have reinstalled Windows Scripting, CityDesk, IE, etc.  Nothing helps.

I have found nothing like this problem in the Knowledge Base or in prior discussion topics.

I hoping someone from CityDesk will respond.  I need to know 1) What happened, 2) How to recover,  and 3) That the product is stable and I won't loose the ability to export my content.

David Burch
Tuesday, February 25, 2003

Is that what happens when you reach the 500 page limit?  That is, if you are using the home edition.  If so, it would be rude if you didn't get a warning.

tk

I presume that is not what happens as files do indeed get published--they are just empty. 

And I own the Pro version which should have no limit (I started off with over 1,000 files and had to get the Pro version).

David Burch

I'd start with double-checking your templates are still OK, and also check whether you've got strange template families/audiences/languages set up. Try selecting File -> Compact Site, to see if that helps (sometimes it fixes strange problems for me).

I assume your CityDesk installation is OK, since the other sites are still publishing properly. Have you tried deleting the citydesk.xml file from your destination and republishing?

If none of that works, I'm out of ideas :-).

Darren Collins

Good call Darren.  That's probably the first place I should have looked but I panicked. 

All the stuff I had in my "Simple" template had been replaced with:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML><HEAD>
    <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=unicode">
    <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    <BODY></BODY></HTML>

No body or any other variables.  I'm pretty sure I didn't do it--I haven't been using doctypes--but I can't prove that, not even to myself.

Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious.

David Burch

I would like people to know that while I was in in a panic, thinking two months of work was down the tubes, I did get an offer from Joel to look at the problem--almost immediately.

That counts for a lot in my book.

David Burch

I paniced when I read your problem.  Glad it worked out for you.

tk

back up your .cty file... often. automically if possible. I use (and was recommended to use here) 12 backup. http://www.12ghosts.com

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, February 27, 2003

I do backup my file fairly often (several times a day) use the backupcitydeskfiles.exe mentioned in a topic somewhere on this list. 

The problem was not a "problem" really, as far as we have been able to nail it down.  My Simple template was revised so that there was no {$ . body $}.

I did see you mention 12-backup in another thread and purchased it earlier today, because it seemed like a convenient and effective way to automatically backup up files to other computers on a LAN.

Thanks for the tip.

David Burch

no problem.. The more idiot-proof backup becomes the better, in my humble opinion. Especially if more than one person is working on any given set of files at a time.

www.marktaw.com

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home