Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How to plug in content from other web app's

I started building a frames based web site using CityDesk for news, WebCalendar for event schedules/calendar, and a couple of other programs for catalogs and photo albums. I don't like some of the characteristics of frames pages, however, and am trying to figure out how to use CD to build/manage the basic site. Most of these other programs allow the addition of HTML for formatting, but I don't know how to build the basic structure w/ navigation in CD and have the calendar et al pick up the information defined in the CD template.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Grady Waddell
Tuesday, February 18, 2003

I wouldn't know where to start, but John C. does a calendar thing on his site and has a download of the tool he uses with CityDesk to make it happen:

http://www.johnsadventures.com/backend/HTMLMonthCreator/HTMLMonthCreator.html

tk
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Thanks. I like his calendar, but it's not quite what I need, at least for this application.

I did have one idea, but it may be a little far-fetched. If there is a way to create separate HTML files for my header/ navigation and footer I could use server side includes in the pages built by the tools to effectively put the content generated by these other tools into a table in a website that is generally built using CD.

Does this seem feasible?

Grady Waddell
Friday, February 21, 2003

Some folks are doing SSI's in CityDesk

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=5355&ixReplies=5

tk
Friday, February 21, 2003

Thanks, tk. I had already looked at the article and it is basically the reverse of what I am hoping to do. In that article, it seems that he wanted to write HTML outside of CD and include it in the CD header. I want to put an include in the other application's header to pull in content that was created by CD.

This is complicated by the fact that I will probably need to have 2 includes, one for the header and navigation cells, and another for any bottom matter. This way I can use CD for most of the site, but have a couple of sections where the look/feel is defined by CD but the content of the main area of the screen defined by another application.

Grady Waddell
Monday, February 24, 2003

I did it. It has a couple of quirks, but it works.

It is acutally pretty easy using the "IFRAME" control. I have an article with HTML/CityScript that sets up a dimensioned frame within a table. If the other application generates a 'page' that is bigger than the allocated space, I get an extra scroll bar, but I can avoid that most of the time.

My web site now has much of the content, including an archive of news/information (my original objective for CD), manged by CD w/ a calendar, a catalog, and photo galleries built by other tools and linked in to produce an 'almost' tightly integrated site. I'll do another post when I get something on-line for folks to look at.

Grady Waddell
Wednesday, February 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home