Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Wishlist: XHTML, Autosave, underlined spellcheck

I'm playing with CityDesk because I'm tired of redesigning my own publishing systems every six months. I'm hoping it can fill me needs for 'quick update' changes.

I have three wishes (so far):

1] I'm impressed the the HTML renderer supports CSS2. I really didn't expect that (even through 95% of browsers on the market do it seems the HTML dev tools haven't gotten there). However, it would be really nice if it wrote XHTML instead of the strange combination of some lower-case and some upper-case tags and attributes. Or at least, please, preserve the HTML that was written in there and don't "fix it".

2] Why do I have to press save? I know this is a really old usability question, but this is the first place where I really feel I should never have to save an article. I edit an article and close it. On to the next one. I see no reason to have a save option or for it never to be automatically saved as I update it.

3] Automatic spell check in the article editor with underlining of misspelled words. This is SO much better than a spell check because it gives you instant feedback when you misspell something which *helps train you to spell it right.*

Jeremy Wadsack
Friday, February 14, 2003

1. Until the HTML component supports HTML, you can use RTidy that I wrote.

2. I must completely disagree with you about the "Save" button. The problem is that unless there is automatic and easily accessible version control, there is too high a risk of loss of data. I have had a couple of situations where I made a mistake and almost lost the article. Because l could close the article without saving, I was able to recover from the mistake.

-a

Austin Ziegler
Friday, February 14, 2003

I also completely disagree with the save button argument. Having the ability to choose whether to commit or rollback changes in a tremendous usability improvement. I do agree about the auto-spell checking though.

Brian Woodring
Saturday, February 15, 2003

There was a huge discussion about this a while ago, with the participants deeply divided.

Personally, I think that some kind of version control (and multiple undo - maintained even after exiting the program) would be a good thing tm.

But in the meantime, since the feature has been requested numerous times and some people really want it, while other people don't - why not implement it as an option?  (Ie "Turn on autosave" - display appropriate warning)

Just a thought
Sunday, February 16, 2003

What is the difference between having autosave and a Close button, vs. just hitting the existing Save&Close button? Don't you already have what you want?

For what it's worth, I'd hate for changes to be automatically saved without hitting a Save button.

Darren Collins

CTRL + S should save the same way it does in other applications without closing the window.

www.marktaw.com

marttaw - CTRL + S does work the same way in CD as in other programs. In mine at least. I use it all the time and it does not close any windows. What version CD do you use?

Jorgen Brenting
Monday, February 17, 2003

I have a recent-if-not-latest version of citydesk. What I meant was "it should work and i remember it working, but it's not something i think about a lot so check first, i could be wrong."

www.marktaw.com
Monday, February 17, 2003

Ok, I agree that auto-save without version control is dangerous. I hadn't completed that comment -- I guess I should have said, it would be nice to have integrated version control with autosave. That does make it a much larger feature request though.

As for tidy, I had considered it, but the point was to be able to round-trip the HTML without losing the formatting that *I* created. That seems like at least a reasonable request.

Jeremy Wadsack
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home