Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Yet Another Feature Request

The CityDesk "Extras" field names are great if you are creating a typical article-based site. The field names get in the way if you are using them for something other than their attended purpose (as most people do sooner or later) and if the end user is someone other than the designer. 

Wouldn't it be easy to allow the Designer to change the Extras field name labels for each .cty file?  The names could even be the same under the hood, say for scripting. There is a need to change the labels so that the end user knows what to put in the field without referring to notes like: "Put the URL in the teaser field."

For example, I have a RealEstate.cty that I am going to hand off to a customer.  It would be nice to be able to change the labels in the following manner:

Headline -> Address
Author -> Real Estate Agent
Teaser -> Feature Summary
Sidebar -> Price
About the Author -> Real Estate Agent Contact Information
Extra 1 -> Exterior Thumbnail
Extra 2 -> Exterior Photograph

Even though I designed the site, I find myself forgetting what to put where and having to look at a previous listing to refresh my memory.

David Burch
Friday, February 14, 2003

It's a great suggestion and it's been suggested it before.  I use an unpublished article to document what goes in the extra fields.

Another similar suggestion is that a folder could have a default template so that you didn't have to remember the correct template.  I think it was also suggested that a folder might have default field names as well.

tk

Just FYI, this is high on our priority list.  We're definitely planning it.

Michael H. Pryor

...and if the name of the fields could be renamed differently for every different template in the .cty file, it would be perfect.

example: "sidebar" could be renamed "related links" for entries with the template "article", and "amazon link" for entries with the template "BookReview", and so on, if the site has two different templates for these two kind of items.

applying a default template to folders would be great too, but an author should always be able to choose another template if necessary.

vincent benard
Monday, February 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home