Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk sites in Non-Latin Languages

Officially, the current version of CityDesk (1.0.31) does not properly support web sites written in non-Latin alphabets (for example, Russian).

We're very close to fixing that -- the next release of CityDesk will support Unicode and UTF-8 natively so you can create sites in just about any language or script.

If you already have a site with text in non-Latin alphabets, could you please send me a copy of your .CTY file? Email it to spolsky@fogcreek.com. That way I can test to make sure that when we upgrade your site to Unicode, nothing is messed up in the upgrade.

thanks, Joel

Joel Spolsky
Friday, February 07, 2003

Hi!
I try to use your product - CityDesk - for create my home page. For my regret write article in russian language is almost impossible because russian text do not appear properly and on to page "Properties" (while I edit article) in all edit fields represent russian letters as corresponding West Europian letters.
Second problem appear when I try preview site - by default Internet Explorer select West Europian Coding Set for rerpresent page with russian text. And I must all the time switch to Cyrillic Coding Set by IE menu View.
I preparing for you simple cite with russian texts and send for testing in the next week.
I hope this little bug will be killed!
(Excuse me my not excellent english)
With best regards
Alexander

Belchenko Alexander
Wednesday, February 12, 2003

Hi Joel,

I bought City Desk Home Edition on Friday (February 21rst) and I am now stuck because City Desk can not render properly all the UNICODE characters.

Not only Non-Latin characters but also all the welsh diacritics or the mathematical signs. In fact this is quite anoying because tens of the web pages I want to publish includes UNICODE extended characters.

In fact City Desk is not far from handling correctly these characters and if you want a test case here is one:

(1) Paste these 3 lines in the City Desk HTML editor:

<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=CA>&#372;</span></p>
<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=CA>&#275;</span></p>
<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=CA>&#8804;</span></p>

(2) Then switch to normal view. As you can see the characters are correctly rendered.

(3) Go back to HTML view, then the characters are lost, the &#xxx code are replaced by a character (but not the good one !). 

Is this a bug or a not supported feature ?

Thanks a lot,

Philippe from France.

Philippe B. Ar Gall
Saturday, February 22, 2003

It's a bug. CD does the same thing with color codes. The trick is never to use Normal View or at least never to use Normal View before the page is saved from HTML view. But it is hard to find all the little things that can go wrong, so I recommend never to use Normal View on critical pages. If there ever is a new version of CD (I'm beginning to have my doubts) this bug is hopefully gone.

Jorgen Brenting
Saturday, February 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home