Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Bug? Reporting a link which doesn't appear...

I'm getting an error from CityDesk:

Warning: broken link "PTMFOG000000417" in file \ruby\RTidyCD.

I'm trying to find this thing and am having no luck whatsoever. I removed a file, but this doesn't appear to be present ANYWHERE in the article in question. (Thus, my first question: why am I being prompted for a password when I open the site in Access?) Why can't I find this thing? Anywhere? (I've even searched the other fields, despite the major problems with searching them.)

The global search facility finds it, but I can't find it at all in the fields.

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Wednesday, February 05, 2003

It might be in a template.

tk

I don't think so; the template is the same everywhere. FWIW, I can't find any reference in the output page, either.

-austin

Austin Ziegler

Create an empty article and copy/paste from the other fields into the body of the new article. Then switch to HTML view.

This will reveal any "invisible" code. Once you've cleaned it up in HTML view, switch back to normal view and copy/paste it back.

Perhaps you somehow created a link that's a space or something.

Another possibility is that the reference is actually in a variable that's only used in that article.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, February 06, 2003

That was it. I had an   as a link. Thanks!

-a

Austin Ziegler

Great!

Another quick way to truly clean up supposedly empty fields (CityDesk should highlight empty fields, graying them out or something, since whether or not it's empty is a script variable) is to hit CTRL+A, then Delete. CTRL+A selects everything in that field, Delete deletes it.

www.marktaw.com

The field wasn't entirely empty; it was a link immediately following another (valid and supposed to be present) link.

-austin

Austin Ziegler

Say, wouldn't a search in that article for the magic name that was being reported as an error also turn it up?

www.marktaw.com
Friday, February 07, 2003

It showed up in search, but it was useless because this was in the sidebar...

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Friday, February 07, 2003

Yeah, but search can at least tell you it's in the sidebar, right? I mean search from inside the article. I could be wrong.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, February 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home