Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Opening CityDesk with MS Access

I'm trying to open my CityDesk site with MS Access and am being prompted for a username and password. Of course, I don't know these. Is this supposed to be the case?

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Wednesday, February 05, 2003

No. There is no username and password on the created CTY files.

Michael H. Pryor

Bizarre. I always get the user/password prompt and it doesn't allow me to view the file.

Shall I take this offline, send my file to you, and see if there is anything wrong with my file?

-austin (this won't be able to happen until tonight at the earliest, though)

Austin Ziegler

Try renaming a copy of the CTY to something.mdb before you open it in Access. That might do it.

Jorgen Brenting
Thursday, February 06, 2003

I tried that. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I may get to play with it more tonight, but not before then.

-a

Austin Ziegler

Have you tried Admin with a blank password?

John Topley

You'll see this behavior if you've set up Acess with a workgroup file because some other Access application is secured. If that's the case, and you know the password that's assigned to Admin in that workgroup, use the Admin account and that password and you should be able to get back in. Otherwise, you can use the Access Workgroup Administrator to get back to the default workgroup. See the Access help topic "Create, join, or fix workgroup information files" for more info.

Mike Gunderloy

Thanks, Mike. That did it, more or less. I just needed to delete the workgroup security file (I don't recall ever adding one in the first place) and Access opened the CityDesk file right up.

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Friday, February 07, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home