Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Revision control

I started thinking about this problem after I mentionned my table idea in <a href="http://discuss.fogcreek.com/citydesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=452&ixReplies=6">this</a> topic. (The more I think about it, the more this table thing would make sense although it may complicate the main window a bit).
Then I started wondering how would one revision control a site with CityDesk? Since CityDesk creates binary files .Cty and .ldb for a site, using a standard revision control tool would be kind of pointless cause you couldn't figure out what the differences would be from one version of a site to another. Well I am used to CVS and I know it couldn't. Not sure about other $$$ revision control tools.
I have never managed a big commercial web site and I am not planning in doing so but I assume that the webmasters of the world do use some sort of revision control on their site stuff. Do you have any plans to incorporate some revision control support in CityDesk?

Sylvain Marcotte
Thursday, November 15, 2001

It's definitely something we're thinking about, although our primary target audience for this version of CityDesk is smaller sites where revision control is overkill.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, November 15, 2001

Ahem. Is revision control ever an overkill?

vlvl
Sunday, November 18, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home