Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Misery on Tripod right now

I publish a site on Tripod.  Things have gone down the tubes over the weekend.  Friday, I couldn't make an FTP connection.  Then it wouldn't take the password.  Now for 2 days. I lose my connection during the publish about half the time.  Always lose the citydesk.xml file and usually the index file.  I publish to the site nearly every day.  It's huge, a complete republish site takes forever and I'd probably lose the connection in the process anyway.

I'm just whining but publishing this site went from fun to misery in 2 days.

tk
Sunday, February 02, 2003

I use www.pair.com for hosting.

$5.95/mo for bare bones hosting, super reliable. $4.95 if you don't need a special domain.

The great thing is, adding a domain is $1/mo or less, and it's just a subdirectory off your first. You can host all your sites / clients' sites off the same account! I have 3 sites with them, and it costs me $7.95 a month for all of them.

They do domain registration too.

www.marktaw.com

You are correct.  We reached Tripod's 20 meg limit on Friday.  My client, Mac, is on a pension and has to deal with paying in Australian dollars which are worth about .59 US.  But we've finally reached the point and we have to make a decision.  It's going to be great getting rid of the Tripod ads.

Where have you been marktaw?

tk

Nowhere really. Things got hectic at work (which is when I did most of my reading here) and then things got non-existant at work - as in I was laid off.

I'm finally getting back into some of my old habits.

Haven't found new work, but that's OK, I haven't been looking. I was thinking of maybe starting a homebrew business. Take all of this bidness & marketing larning and do sumpin wid it.

I figure... I have the time, and if/when I go back to work I won't. So if I'm gonna do it, I should do it now.

How are things with you Terry?

www.marktaw.com
Monday, February 03, 2003

A lot of folks have suggested a bunch of low cost hosting services.  It's been helpful and I really appreciate it.

tk
Thursday, February 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home