Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How to create ‘tooltips’ for navigation links?

I would like to add what is called ‘tooltips’ in Windows (those yellow text balloons that pop up when you hover over certain elements) to a list of navigation links in a left column. This way, the visitor can learn a bit more about which content to expect there. I would like these tooltips to show the text in the .teaser field.

Has anyone an idea how to do this? Thanks!

Paul Iliano
Sunday, January 26, 2003

The tooltip is hidden inside the <a href> tag like this: <a href="your_site.com" title="Here is the tooltip">YourSite</a>

This means that you would have to write the links in full and not use CDs magic names. After the link is written open the file in html and write the teaser-text yourself.

Not a good solution, I know.

Jorgen Brenting
Sunday, January 26, 2003

Thanks for the tip Jorgen.

I managed to get what I wanted, namely tooltips using the .teaser text, by adding this to the template's html just in front of the href=:

title="{$x.teaser$}"

I suppose there's no way to add this to Cityscript in normal view?

Paul Iliano
Sunday, January 26, 2003

I can't think of a reason why this whould exclude magic links. It is however, only possible in HTML edit mode.

Adriaan van den Brand
Sunday, January 26, 2003

One reason could be that it is almost impossible to se and/or rembember where to a magic number points. The full URL will make this a lot easier.

Jorgen Brenting
Sunday, January 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home