Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Need "richer" rich text editor

I've recently begun using CityDesk for a personal blog and almost immediatly ran into a problem creating articles.

I use outline based formatting with a heavy use of numbered lists.  I will often create a numbered heading and then follow it by an intented body.

In the CityDesk editor you can create numbered and bulleted lists.  However the content of each list entry must all occur in the same paragraph.  It is not possible to create indented content without breaking the numbering of the list.  Arrgh!!

This will probably keep me from using CityDesk.  My workaround is to write my content in Word or FrontPage and then copy/paste the result into the CityDesk article editor.  This yields unacceptible redundant content. To update an article I must first edit it in the source editor and repaste it into CityDesk.

I would recommend you either 1) Greatly enhance the functionality of the article editor (perhaps by purchasing an off the shelf component), or 2) allow alternate editors to be launched for articles. 

Otherwise this is a great product!

Doug Durham
Sunday, January 26, 2003

For me too this is the main flaw in CityDesk.
I never really understood why you can edit html files in an external editor but not the body text of articles. Probably there's a technical reason, but I feel to see the logic as a user.

I would be immensely greatful for either of these solutions:
-a much better article editor
-being able to use an external editor like for html files
-being able to useWord files for the body, as Macromedia Contribute does.

Paul Iliano
Sunday, January 26, 2003

Use CTRL + ENTER. It inserts a line break rather than a Paragraph/Bullet Point.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, February 04, 2003

I mentioned similar problem (lack of help for Headings). It would be really helpful to add support for such basic things.

Best regards
Lukasz P.

Lukasz Pogoda
Friday, February 07, 2003

Not so. Use the indent icon on the text editor. Select whether numbered list or bullet. When you're done, outdent and the numbering of the original list picks up.

The only issue is that there is a line break between indented sections.

Amos
Sunday, February 09, 2003

Amos, I think this is the way HTML is.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, February 10, 2003

These are all great suggestions, however they are work arounds.

To see what the behavior should be look at either Frontpage or Word. 

By the way I tried the indent outdent trick, but the problem is once the numbering is broken by an unnumbered paragraph you are stuck.

The shift-enter trick works, but it requires more work than the programs I mentioned.

Thanks again!

Doug Durham
Tuesday, February 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home