Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How about a last modified field in the next CD?

I think the subject line says it all. Either that, or it would be nice to have a setting for an article that automatically updates the "filed date" field, if the article is modified (probably suboptimal).

I know that I constantly have to update content on my site. It would be nice to be able to have this little detail taken care of.

Bob

Robert Pawlak
Saturday, January 18, 2003

If this should be altered at all, the best solution would be a "last modified field". It would not always be convenient to have the "Filed date" field updated automatically. If you are just correcting a typo, you might not want the file to show up in some "New files" list.
That said, I don't think the existing system is that bad. After all, when you are updating the file you can update the "Filed date" field or leave it as it is – not exactly time consuming work – and this "limitation" helps keeping the CD program simple.

Jorgen Brenting
Saturday, January 18, 2003

Yeah, the first solution is definitely the best. I would still ike to see it done, since I think it is a valuable bit of information for the reader.

Bob

Robert Pawlak
Sunday, January 19, 2003

I do agree on that a last modified field could be useful. As for changing the filed date, some times you want to update a file as changed but still show when it was originally uploaded.
Now I use one of the extra-fields of the article to enter the date when it was updated. Not an optimal solution.

Henrik Jernevad
Sunday, January 19, 2003

I agree with the enhancement request.

John

John
Sunday, January 19, 2003

I second that emotion.

Tara
Thursday, January 23, 2003

I vote for an extra field 'last modified'. I would really like to show a last modified date because our texts evolve constantly.

Paul Iliano
Monday, January 27, 2003

I'll go you one better: How about a string of all modification dates, the first would be the "publishdate" the last would be "lastmodifydate" and the whole thing would  be "allmodifydates."  I guess the dates would have to be date/time.

tk
Monday, January 27, 2003

I've wanted this for a while.

A workaround is the JavaScript that prints the server date/time stamp on the page.

As long as there are no elements on the page that will get updated other than the article, it should work.

My personal workaround (as all my pages get updated all the time) is to label the updates like this:

Update Feb 4, 2003: This way they know exactly when I added what.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, February 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home