Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Does CityDesk create standards compliant html?

OK, it's a wonderful programme, and I am recommending it to my clients, but I'm a bit worried that CityDesk is changing my html code, and that the html it creates in WYSIWYG mode is not standards compliant. In particular, it puts tags in upper case, and doesn't put quotation marks around attributes.

Is there a setting somewhere or a doctype I can add that will make CityDesk product something I can validate correctly (say as HTML 4.01)?

Incidentally, does anyone know of a CityDesk equivalent for the Mac?

Ed Lucas
Thursday, January 16, 2003

I've managed to make my CityDesk site html 4.01 transitional compliant by manually changing a few html elements whenever i drop a picture into an article (changing spans to divs, removing cd:pos items and tidying up paragraph markers) or use a different colour (adding quotation marks).

Most of the rest of the html that's added is already compliant (case doesn't matter to a validator and quotation marks are only required around tags when characters such as spaces or #'s are used).

That said, most websites out there don't validate, such as Microsoft.com, google.com and the BBC News site - so I wouldn't get too hung up about it! If the site looks fine on IE5/6 and Mozilla then you've already catered for most of the people out there.

John Conners

You can use an application that I wrote, RTidy/CityDesk, to ensure that your resulting HTML is tidied to the specification you choose (I choose XHTML Strict 1.0).

You can find it at
    http://www.halostatue.ca/ruby/RTidyCD.html

The archive includes everything you need.

-austin

Austin Ziegler

(By the by, RTidy/CityDesk means Ruby/Recursive Tidy for CityDesk.)

-austin

Austin Ziegler

It is XHTML that requires lower case elements and quoted attributes.

David Burch
Friday, January 17, 2003

Uppercase tags are for humans. Uppercase tags are converted to lowercase by the browser before they are interpreted so, in theory, lowercase should be a little faster. And if lowercase is required under XHTML you can just as well get used to it now

Jorgen Brenting
Saturday, January 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home