Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Any forced separation of design and content roles?

Is there any way to enforce a separation between content maintainers and site designers?

Do all users with any access have the ability to change the design, rename the site, etc?

Or for that matter can anyone with access re-write any story that falls in the same cyt file they can work in?

Are you beta testing any sites maintained by multiple users?

Is this even a use case that you are considering?

--Tim

Tim Randolph
Wednesday, November 14, 2001

I second that emotion.  I've been reviewing CityDesk as a replacement for an ad-hoc wanna-be-a-CMS setup currently in place in my company.

While some of the tenets of CityDesk answer my prayers, others (such as those noted above) leave me desperate that there are <b>no</b> systems that do what I need.

User AND Content = Okay
User AND Local Nav = Okay
User AND Site Template Editing = !Okay

Of course, this raises the Big Question: will there be an API? :)

-Matt

Matt Lavallee

You can turn off designer mode for your users (Ctrl+M) and hope they don't turn it on again :)

How useful would it be to have password-protection on designer mode?

For the next version one thing we're considering is to allow you to specify certain files and folders that do not appear in user-mode. So you can prevent non-designers from messing up your index.html with its carefully constructed template.

Joel Spolsky

It just occurred to me that CityDesk works a lot like Lotus Notes did before the 5.0 release, but without the ACLs.

In older versions of Notes, design and content maintenance were with the same client.  In the beginning Lotus was selling the idea that users should also be programmers and designers.  As the product evolved it got further and further away from that.  ACLs got more granular and roles became much more segregated. Now there is a separate client and license for designers.

I am fairly sure that Lotus/IBM went this direction because of corporate customers.  I know in the environment I consult in, most users just can't have access to something as fundamental as the site variable table. 

In some ways I would love to see CD grow users and permissions, but that might not be its sweet spot.  Right now I can't imagine a better tool for those tens of thousands of little sites that are on $15/month web hosting plans or happily on the home side of a cable modem. 

--Tim

Tim Randolph
Thursday, November 15, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home