Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Can you offer some suggestions?

I have a relatively new website.

A few of my affiliates are telling me I need content management.

I have been looking into in and those type of companies are quoting me prices ranging in the thousand of dollars. $5-10K

Is there any way you could take a look at my website www.computerlandcentral.com and offer some suggestions as to whether or not this software would be viable solution for me or not.

Or any suggestion as to update content easily across many different pages.

I am spending 10-12 hrs daily updating content , responding to emails, etc and I am exhausted and having trouble keep up with it all.
I think I need some soft of databse but really don't know SQL only a little bit of MS Access.
I would  be grateful for any imput. Thanks
LQ

www.computerlandcentral.com

LQ
Thursday, January 09, 2003

Wow! Do you really do all this the old way? OK, since your site seems to consist mostly of links to other sites, you could definitely use CityDesk to do the job. No need to spend 5-10K. But be prepared for some (a lot of) fine-tuning when you move the data.

Jorgen Brenting
Friday, January 10, 2003

Just my two cents -- I am an amateur at CityDesk, but a veteran at "content management systems" (whatever that means nowadays).  I could bore you at length about the various CM tools. 

In my opinion, CityDesk gives you 90% of the power that 90% of us need, at about 5% of the learning curve.  That's why I'm using it for my own site (one day old) at www.brxb.com. 

In my "real" job I manage a team of 55 who built over 1,000 websites last year, and maintain about 6,000 sites for professional firms.  Something like 250,000 pages on the web.  We just built our intranet (again!) on a full-blown "CM" system and frankly, it's too much overhead.  The CM platform itself imposes too much complexity.

There is a lot of power in a tool that is simple and "good enough."  I'm liking CityDesk so far.  From what I see on your site, you would too.

Craig Brooksby
Friday, January 10, 2003

Thanks for the imput. I guess I am going to download the Free version and play with it and see. I can always get the Pro version if I need to right.

LQ

LQ
Friday, January 10, 2003

You will probably run into the limitation of the free version really fast. That is, if you use one article per link. But there is also a money back guarantee. So if you like the look&feel (which is the same for the free version) you may try the real thing... (e.g. home  or pro)

Adriaan van den Brand
Sunday, January 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home