Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Mailing list related to desktop cms

For those of us who find email useful in discussing CD we just have initiated a mailing list at

http://www.coollist.com/subscribe/subto.cgi?l=desktopcms

Please share your questions and tips to the benefit of all. Its free of course :-)

Regards

Patrick

Patrick Thomas
Thursday, January 09, 2003

Is this exclusively a CityDesk list? Or will we get a bunch of emails regarding other CMSs?

Tara
Friday, January 10, 2003

I don't think it is a good idea to fragment this forum. With tk and Darren keeping track of almost everything I think we are better of staying in this ad-free environment.

Jorgen Brenting
Friday, January 10, 2003

> Is this exclusively a CityDesk list?
> Or will we get a bunch of emails regarding other CMSs?

What other desktop CMS ? We are a CityDesk VAR in Germany and its the only tool of its kind we use and sell to our clients. The mailing list is not intended to discuss Data Becker's Web-To-Date or Macromedia's Contribute and the like.

Also, CityDesk is so "constrained" (which is its strength!), almost error-free and simple to use that its more about sharing general DHTML, CSS, XML, workaround...etc tips in relation to CityDesk than about CityDesk in itself.

> I don't think it is a good idea to fragment this forum.

Thats a good point - and a matter of personal preference. We prefer to get informed of fellow developers problems and solutions "automatically along the way" (aka by email)instead of having to look-up things actively by surfing around.

> With tk and Darren keeping track of almost everything

TK and Darren are doing an excellent job...

>  I think we are better of staying in this ad-free

and again its a matter of personal preference. We are not affiliated with coollist in any way (actually did not know about them until surfing around to find a free mailing list solution a couple of days ago) but understand that its a give and take on their part: one gets something for free and one gives something in return. We do not believe in pure altruism :-)

What I personally see as a much more serious issue is the potential lack of CityDesk developers (meaning: developing for other clients instead of their own consumption) due to the fact that there is no formal VAR / distribution program in place: There is no incentive for a current "VAR" to promote CityDesk in itself with their own money (to other developers). Joel knows our way of thinking about this topic ;-)

And CityDesk, IMHO is not an end-user product. Its a two-tier reseller product for third parties to develop custom template solutions. And as long as it cannot be adequately promoted to other developers we fear the developer community to stay rather small.

Patrick

Patrick Thomas
Saturday, January 11, 2003

Actually we currently have this dilemma in a very acute way: an editor of germany's most influential IT periodical might write a review of CityDesk. Now, what is our incentive to support him, phone him, try to direct him and point out the stengths, point out the workarounds to CD limitations...etc ? In short, doing unpaid PR work.

We will do it anyway to get the relationship going with this person for other, future purposes but you see the problem. We don't use CityDesk for our fun or personal weblogs but are interested in CD as a money-maker only to pay the rent, feed our kids...etc :-)

Patrick

Patrick Thomas

Patrick – I see your point about the two different kind of users of this forum – the amateurs and the professionals. I have several times (with no response at all) appealed for more involvement in this forum from Fog Creek. Of course I'm not blind for the extra work this would require. On the other hand I believe that both Fog Creek and the professional users would benefit from some sort of two way communication. As it is now, it's a little bit like talking to some ancient Gods – you still believe they are there, but they never answer. One gets tired after a while. My fear is that this forum, like so many other forums, will turn into a place where first time users writes to themselves to conclude that they should have given their problem one more thought before they wrote the first letter. There are signs of this already. Maybe the mailing list isn't such a bad idea after all. But it's still a 'workaround' in my opinion.

Jorgen Brenting

we are here! sometimes we answer, too. We appreciate all the feedback, really, it all gets added to a big database of suggestions which help us decide what to put in the next version.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, January 13, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home