Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature Requests/Wish List

1. Need a way to select and cut, copy or move a large number of files from one folder to another at any point in the hierarchy (Since this is an explorer-like interface, CTRL and Shift clicking to select multiple files to copy/cut and paste or drag-n-drop elsewhere would be great.

2. Need a way to select and cut, copy or move a large number of files from one folder to another at any point in the hierarchy (Since this is an explorer-like interface, CTRL and Shift clicking to select multiple files to copy/cut and paste or drag-n-drop elsewhere would be great.

3. Need a way to say give me every article under a given folder and all its sub folders when building indexes.

4. Need a feature to import html files and folders of html files into articles (If it were not for CopyBoy, I would not now be using CityDesk right now.  This is because I had to import a site with 1,000 articles and needed the author, keywords, sidebar, teaser and extra1 features to build indexes.  Starting over from scratch would have been too much work.

5. Need better keyword matching.  Regular expressions would be great.  The (keyword) workaround is not a good solution as it messes up the inclusion of keywords in the meta tags.

6. Need expanded if conditions.  An else operator would be nice as well.

7. Need bug fixes to intermediate locking up of program.  I have to frequently switch to task manager to kill CityDesk, then bring it back up.

8. Need a better HTML editor.  Current one can really mess up HTML if you are not careful.

9. Need better variable and template interface and editor.  Editing variables and templates should be as easy as editing articles. 

10. Need a way to search by folder and file name as well as the current file contents search.

11. Need further variable expansion.  For example: need to be able to put CityScript like foreach loops in variables.

12. It would be nice to be able to "plug in" programs, such as a third party XSLT convertor.  For instance, I am already generating HTML which I open in Word for a book I am editing.  It would be great to generate XML/XSLT templates which could be converted into PDF by a third party program.

David Burch
Sunday, January 05, 2003

Welcome to the Club. Please stand in line.

Jorgen Brenting
Sunday, January 05, 2003

Thanks for the warm welcome Jorgen.

David Burch
Sunday, January 05, 2003

Welcome David.  We are certainly in line but probably side-by-side rather than front to back.  There are lots of folks ready to drive CityDesk a lot harder and faster once we get a feature boost.  Many have been waiting with more or less patience since 11-01.  There are lots of hints in the forum the the Fog folks "get it."  By the same token a lot of users to want to "get it" real soon.

tk
Monday, January 06, 2003

I would say these are not unreasonable requests. I too have lamented CityDesk's inability to conveniently move large numbers of files around.

Robert Pawlak
Sunday, January 12, 2003

I'd say that the first couple in that list would be the big ones for me.  I'm putting together my first list now, and I dread if I decide to move some of those articles around since I'll have to click and drag dozens of file individually...

One that i've just run into is the potential power of filedate.  I was planning to use filedate as an easy way to get a "What's New".  Loop over the site, take the 10 highest filedates and that's your What's New list.  Unfortunately the filedate is the creation date, not the most recently modified date.  Perhaps a different variable for that would be useful to more people.

John

John
Friday, January 17, 2003

John, all you have to do is update the "Filed date" field under Properties whenever you update the file itself and viola – a new filed date!

Jorgen Brenting
Saturday, January 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home