Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Invalid CityDesk Syntax (\home\1_4_whats_new:57)

Is :57 the line number??? There is cityscript in the template AND in the article. This makes it very difficult to troubleshoot.

Tara
Tuesday, December 31, 2002

I don't know if it was an email or on the forum but:  SP2 added the number (line number, I think) on publishing error messages.  The number is a prelude to a better debugging features but the Fog folks haven't implemented them yet.

I'm guessing that if scripting gets a feature boost, debugging will have to grow with it.

tk

It's actually the byte number, not the line number.

Joel Spolsky

i guess it is the byte number of the (template/variable)expanded text. So it is quite difficult to find out the exact location of the error.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, January 02, 2003

What's it for then? I could think of more useful error messages.

Jorgen Brenting

A syntax checking feature would be nice.  Somewhat like the spell checker, but runs through an article an checks the script syntax before you publish/preview.

Jeff Kolker

filename:line:column would be a major improvement already.

Adriaan van den Brand
Friday, January 03, 2003

<H1>Press Releases</H1>
{$foreach x in (AND (folder "company/press_releases") (keyword_contains "pressrelease")) SortAscendBy .Extra1$}
<H2><A href="{$x.link$}">{$x.headline$}</A></H2>{$next$}
<H1>Company News</H1>{$foreach q in (AND (folder "company/press_releases") (keyword_contains "companynews")) SortAscendBy .Extra1$} <BR>
<H2><A href="{$q.link$}">{$q.headline$}</A></H2>{$next$}

I need another set of eyes. I still havent resolved this invalid syntax thing. I am sure it is dumb and I just can't see it.

Tara
Tuesday, January 07, 2003

You've got a funny <BR> on the second-last line that isn't within a paragraph or heading element, but I don't think that would cause any problems for CityScript.

The problem could be within your template, rather than within this bit of CityScript. Try copying the article that causes the error, and then publish the copy using the '(None)' template (which just publishes the body into an html file). If the problem persists, it's in your article. If it goes away, it's in your template.

Hope this helps!

Darren Collins
Tuesday, January 07, 2003

That was it- I had taken all of the cityscript out of the template before I posted, BUT I FORGOT that there was a {$.headline$} in the Title tag! It was missing a $. Thanks!

Tara
Wednesday, January 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home