Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Use of background colors

I just started using CD over the last couple of days.  What an awesome tool!

I'm building a site that has a dark gray background, which means that the font color needs to be something light.  This tends to be a pain when I get to the article editor, or any of CDs editors for that matter.

1.  I cannot change the background color of the editor so that I can find colors that are a good match for the background color of the site.

2.  When I do find a good color the text in the editor is virtually unreadable because of the light colored font on a white background.

Mike Kolter
Monday, December 23, 2002

I assume you want some sort of organised colour scheme, rather than arbitrary colours scattered through your text.

The key is to realise that the wysiwyg features of the CD editor are so limited that they're often best ignored, unless what you want is pretty simple. Just regard it as a way of applying the sorts of markup it understands, and use a stylesheet to make the result come out looking how you want.

You should be able to make a simple scheme work by assigning styles to the em, bold, and ul tags in the stylesheet. In the CD editor they will still look bold, etc - but you can render than any way you like with the stylesheet.

If you need more but don't want to edit the HTML, you can do a lot by using variables to insert tags (headers, for instance - and divs) that the anemic CD editor doesn't understand.

Michael Wild

Thanks for the tips.  The problem is that my wife will be doing most of the maintenance of the site.  She's one of the types that likes lots-o-color so she doesn't necessarily want to follow the color scheme I've got going.

Even so, I cannot specify colors for her to use in the Palette because the colors are light and are unreadable against the white background of the editor.

And one thing I'm certain of: she isn't going to be doing any HTML.

An editor that allows me to set the background color would go a long way to alleviating this problem.

Mike Kolter

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home