Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature request : empty template suppression

I have a site with just a few articles that need a printable version. Other topics here show how to do this, but you always wind up with a copy of the whole site, including articles you don't need printable versions of.

I can give them empty templates of course, but each one still generates an 80-odd byte stub containing the "published by citydesk" comment. It is possible to hack something up using a combination of audience and publish location settings, but it's inelegant, hard to maintain, and easy to break.

So it would be nice to have a way of suppressing publication completely if the template is empty. Maybe a global "don't publish via empty templates" setting? or a per-template "don't publish this template in this family" flag?

Michael Wild
Monday, December 23, 2002

I agree. Another feature request: BETTER HTML VIEW formatting- color coding, code tabbing, etc.

Tara
Tuesday, December 31, 2002

From a very old discussion topic I think that the Fog folks intended that using a blank template would surpress publishing and were surprised that it didn't.

tk
Tuesday, December 31, 2002

Could this be a case of a new feature breaking an old one? Perhaps once-upon-a-time empty documents were supressed, but later on the "published by" tags were added, and then documents were never empty.

Michael Wild
Thursday, January 02, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home