Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Template Family Therapy

I am curious about the behaviors of template families. We are trying to implement our English site and our Japanese site in CD. I created two templates - producthome and productinfo. I did the english version based on these templates. Then I created a new template family and it prepopulated it with the existing templates. So, I went in and changed the images on these "new" templates to be the japanese images. Now when I go into the articles to try and assign the japanese templates to the japanese side of the articles, I cannot tell which is japanese and which is english because the templates are named the same and I cannot see the "family name." I then decided to change the name of the producthome template in the japanese family to be "producthome-japanese" and it automatically changes the name of the producthome template in the english family.  Why did it do this and why did it not change the images in the english template if the templates are somehow linked?

Tara
Friday, December 20, 2002

The article gets assigned a template, but the actual template family that it gets published to isn't chosen until publish time.  In order to do what you want, you should create two publish locations.  One that publishes only english and uses the english template family, and another that publishes only japanese and uses the japanese template family.

Michael H. Pryor

I see, so essentially the "preview" is a publish and it knows which templates to use because I told it to use the japanese templates for japanese site, etc.

Tara

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home