Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Spyware

I like the look of CityDesk. There's just one thing I'd like to know before I reach for my chequebook:

What are fog creek going to do with the little comment tags that CD inserts at the top of each page:

Published by Fog Creek Software CityDesk WJKIPKNZKKJJEUUQ/516C8CE5/262

Presumably the alphanumerics mean something - what?

Does fog creek have a privacy statement about what CD does or does not record, send or weave into your website?

Dafydd Rees
Tuesday, December 17, 2002

I believe that message is put there so you can, from your web browser, select "Edit with CityDesk" and it will load the appropriate CityDesk file and article.  Pretty neat.

1) It has to be YOUR CityDesk site for it to work.  You cannot load anyone elses because...

2) Obviously, the .cty file has to be on the computer you are using.

Other than using it to load your file from the browser, I don't think that information does anything else. 

Jeff Kolker

Jeff has it right.

It's just a unique string so the app can find your .cty file when you use the "Edit this page" button in IE.  That's it.

Michael H. Pryor

It would be nice if it was not the first line on the page.  Maybe it could be the last line.  As has been noted, being the first line forces IE6 into quirks mode

Joel Goldstick

Yes, I can see how that could be the case, but it could be used for a few other things.

I'd still like fog creek to publish an official privacy policy.

Dafydd Rees

I stumbled upon another problem with this stub. With it's position on the page to be exact: I am using FreeFind as the search engine on my site ( http://www.mvesely.at ). For some of it's customization options it requires a special HTML-comment as the very first line of the page. The stubborn stub :-) always goes into the way.

Michael Vesely
Friday, December 27, 2002

I think the comment only shows up if your template extension is .htm or .html. I run 3 sites with CityDesk, 2 of which use .php and one that is .html. The .html site has the comment, the other 2 don't. One uses includes also managed by CityDesk so I thought it was that at first, but the other site doesn't use includes, just normal templates. It must be the extension issue. This doesn't help people on servers that only do .html (like the one site I'm stuck with), and I feel this should be a preference with a warning perhaps.

Phillip Harrington
Friday, April 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home