Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Beta 4

I still have the problem where the headline is not always filled in when I create a new article.  I sent Michael the .CTY that exhibits this problem.

Bill Wood
Wednesday, November 14, 2001

Yep, that's cuz you were just doodling around while testing and you have a file called "New Article" in that folder.  Just delete or rename the "New Article" to something reasonable and it will work.  Under normal usage situations this isn't a bug, since people aren't going to leave their articles named "New Article".  Thanks for the report though.

Michael Pryor

Yep, that fixed it.  Not clear why an article named New Article would prevent other articles from being named properly though.

Bill Wood

It's because we have a strange rule that when you rename an article from "New Article" to something else, we set the headline automatically. Since you had an existing New Article all your new articles were named "New Article 2."

The strange rule is intended to make life a little bit easier for people who use the name name for the article as the headline, without making life impossible for people who want to use a short, internally-meaningful name for the article and a longer, publically visible name for the headline.

Joel Spolsky

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home