Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Domain hijack

I use CD to run a site for my local Habitat for Humanity chapter.  Well, last week our domain registration expired, and I forgot to renew it (the registrar never sent a renewal notice).  I didn't realize what happened until today, when I found out that somebody else had already registered the domain.

@#!(&*@#!!

So, what are my options here?  I can't imagine that the new owner actually intends to use the domain - more likely he wants to sell it.  I already sent mail to the admin contact asking about this. 

Assuming he doesn't want to sell, or wants to sell it for big $$$, do I have any options?  Do I have basis to file an ICANN complaint, or would that be a waste of time? 

Suggestions, anybody?

(and yes, I realize I have nobody to blame but myself)

Jason
Thursday, December 12, 2002

What is the domain name?

There have been cases where domains registered for purposes of resale to those whose trade name the domain represents have been "taken" away from the one who registered it.  One case... the rock band Jethro Tull, I believe, successfully sued someone who registered a domain consisting of their name.  Of course...court would be really expensive.

If the registrant has a valid use the the registered domain name, you may be out of luck.  If they contact you for resale, then you have a legit complaint. 

Best advice... if it comes to it, consult an attorney.

Jeff Kolker
Thursday, December 12, 2002

Strange that your registrar never sent out a renewal... if you can find out why this may help you. It is difficult to pay a bill you don't get. Normally people want domains as long as they 'exist' and can pay the bills.... If someone made a big mistake your chances of getting it back are better.

Adriaan van den Brand
Friday, December 13, 2002

I don't know the rules at your place, but in Denmark, if you forget to pay, the national administration of top level domains have to sent you a written warning that your domain is about to be 'free'. You then have 3 weeks to pay the bill, before anyone else can register the name. It is written in very small type deep in rules that you have to ask for from the top level administration. Could be the case in your country too.

Jorgen Brenting

I had a client fail to pay his registration.  There is a company in Hong Kong that seems to be connected with Network Associates.  When you do the whois over there, you get asked if you want to make an offer to buy back the name -- minimum bid is $125.  Then, if you do, they want your credit card number.  They don't promise that you can buy it back, just that they will contact the new owner...

The Denmark way sounds good.  I think a domain name should be left for a month or so before it can be purchased by someone new.

Joel Goldstick

I receive more notices than I care to count from Internic.

I receive them in snail mail, e-mail, they seem to come from everywhere.

They start arriving about three or four months before they are even due.

Right now I am receiving ones for February.

It's kind of annoying but, then again, I guess they are giving me every opportunity to renew my domains.

John

John Cesta

yeah, my other domain uses a different registrar and they sent me about 3 dozen renewal notices (e-mail and snail) starting at least 6 months before the expiration date.

The new domain owner offered to transfer the domain back for $500 and an advertising link on the site.  No deal.

Wading thru the ICANN site, I saw several references to a 30 day waiting period after domain expiration (for .org).  I couldn't tell if this is a recommendation or a hard-and-fast rule.  Does anybody know?

Jason

Jason,

Sorry, I'm coming to this discussion a little late, but would you please tell us what registrar you used, that didn't send out a renewal notice?

Thursday, December 19, 2002

Yeah man! Are you going to use this domain and site or what?

Ricky Martin
Sunday, December 22, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home