Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Non-CD Question:  Launch app from Browser?

In short, is it possible to launch executables with just 1 click directly from a browser?

I'd like to have a way for users to launch -- with just 1 click -- several in-house applications they regularly use (these applications all reside in the same locations on each user's c: drive).  The only solution I've come up with is:

<A href="file:///C:/Folder1/Folder2/application.exe">

But doing this causes IE 5x (company standard) to do the following:

-->  Asks the user if he wants to Run this program OR Save this program  (Dialog Box 1)

-->  If the user selects "Run", IE5x then asks the user if he wants to install and run the selected application (and warns the user that "The Publisher cannot be determined…" because "…authenticode signature not found") (Dialog Box 2)

Selecting Yes in Dialog Box 2 opens the application…but these two dialog boxes will deter people from using this method of launching the applications.

Any and all ideas are appreciated!

Gilles
Wednesday, December 11, 2002

it says that because the exe is not properly configured in the iis mappings.

It's a little more complex than that anyway. It depends on what you are trying to run, what it does, what permissions it requires, what resources on the server it requires and then that determines the user and then the level of authentication you will need. You can't run an exe unnder the IUSR_machinename user which is the user that runs when you run a browser through IIS, if that is what you are trying to do.

I would pose the question to one of the winnt discussion forums or news groups.

John

John Cesta
Wednesday, December 11, 2002

Check this link:

http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/

non de script
Thursday, December 12, 2002

Thanks non de script!

Gilles
Friday, December 20, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home