Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CD screws up forms

HTML View, enter a form.

Switch to edit.

Go back to HTML. It formats the WHOLE FORM on one line!!!

Please fix this as it is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY annoying to try to edit forms after that, and CD has no support for editing forms in HTML view.

Chad Z. Hower
Monday, December 09, 2002

You may want to consider editing forms in a different WYSIWYG editor and then pasting the raw HTML to CityDesk; this is more or less what I do (I don't do WYSIWYG, but I edit most of my HTML in vim and paste it into CityDesk). What's also interesting is that you can tune things like the sidebar, select them in your browser (you have to be precise with this) and then paste it into CityDesk; nearly-valid XHTML will be kept okay this way, which is necessary for putting cleaner HTML into things like the Author's Bio, the Sidebar, etc.

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Monday, December 09, 2002

CD will still screw it up next time I edit. Its not acceptable to have to cut and paste to work around CDs bugs.

Chad Z. Hower
Tuesday, December 10, 2002

My advise:
NEVER, EVER use Normal view on forms.

Please don't SCREAM. I know some bugs are annoying, but you'll learn to work around the current bugs. I do anyway. It could be better, but your energy can better be saved for building those great sites.... (and Citydesk is still a great time saver)

For the fogcreek people: if there is another small service pack: please store the article in the UNDO buffer before switching to normal view so it can be recovered.

Adriaan van den Brand

If 'never, ever' to use the normal view, I suggest the following for a new version:
- take out the tab 'normal view'
- add a 'CityDesk viewer' option to all the other (external) viewers at the right mouse click.

What do you all think of this option?

In this case the 'CD viewer' is just like one of the others. The way the viewer is presented currently, it looks like the 'normal view' is preffered above the external viewers.

I reported this 'bug' a couple of months ago. Personally (as developer of a site) I can live with it.  But it becomes an annoying situation when I hand over the site and have to tell those who gonna use the site to never use the Normal view. The tempation is just too big. I have seen it happening.

Johan Koerts

I think you're missing the point of one of CD's main selling points... Someone who is NOT an IT person, will spend 99% of their time in the Normal View.

That's where they belong.

That's what I LOVE about it. I can give a CD to someone, and tell them to 'have at it'. They can go merrily generating pages to their hearts content without ever having to know a bit of HTML, FTP etc.

Yeah, it is a PITA for those of us who DO need to fiddle with the HTML. I just copy the entire HTML out to my editor and auto-reformat it there before working on it some more and then pasting back in.

Not ideal. But I'll happily live with it unti the next version for the benefits it provides overall!

Tim Jones

I agreee, as IT people I dont use Normal view, but it is extremely easy to use for Office like users.

Aníbal Rojas
Wednesday, December 11, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home