Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

html files vs. articles

Articles have properties, including the nifty translation window. What about html files? If I import an existing english language website into CityDesk and want to use city desk to manage and maintain it from now on, how do I get the files to be "articles" so I can take advantage of the properties?

Tara
Thursday, December 05, 2002

The picture needs to be in CityDesk to show appropriately.  If the picture hasn't been imported, you need to do that.

You will then have to click on the broken picture link, press the button to insert a picture, and find the picture you need that was imported into your CityDesk site. 

Then you should be able to see your picture.

Hope I got all that right... ;) 

Jeff Kolker

this was supposed to be a reply to your question about the pictures.  I am not sure how it got here... sorry about that.

Jeff Kolker

Interesting!
Anyway, my pictures appear listed in the images folder in  citydesk. I copied the entire site, including images, into the citydesk window. And still the images are broken.

Tara

Go to the html page that has the broken picture link.

Make sure you are in Normal View (not HTML view) and click on the broken picture link.  Press the "Insert Picture" button on the toolbar.  In the drop down list, find the picture that is in your CityDesk file, where ever it may be located. 

Press OK..and your picture should be there again...

Jeff Kolker

Tara,  You can try CopyBoy, find it on this page:http://tk-jk.net/city/Articles/fog-2.html  It can turn files into articles.  Some forum folks have used it but I haven't.

Generally though, in order to have fun with a site you've imported or dragged into CityDesk, you've got to turn the HTML files into templates and articles and then build some scripts.

For me it's been a brute force job.  But can go pretty quick once you get into the groove.  You might start with a simple template to get your html-to-article job done; then pretty it up.  It's good to plan out your conversion technique method first.

Sometimes it has been easier for me not to import or drag the site into CityDesk but to copy the text page by page into CityDesk article.  Then drag in the images and manually put them where they belong.

I've got a fairly big site that I'm anxious to put into City but I'm waiting, hoping that the next release makes it a little easier.  If not, I'll probably redesign it to make it easier to take advantage of CityDesk rather than try to duplicate it exactly.

tk

Hmmm. I was hoping to avoid that but it may be unavoidable. Thanks for the tips!

Tara
Friday, December 06, 2002

Terry,

I've just completed moving one of my bigger sites into CD. So I *know* what you mean, got the RSI to prove it too ;-)

I tried the import, but with a couple of hundred pages, it was too much work to manually fiddle them. So I created all my templates (8 of them) and then manually copied the text across, and repointed to the correct pictures.

See how it turned out here: http://www.aquatee.com

I even finally managed to get email addresses completely removed from the site from the POV of bot's harvesting them.

Learnt some interesting stuff in the process, so it wasn't all pain ;-)

Tim Jones
Tuesday, December 10, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home