Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Images don't appear in normal view

I followed the instructions on the geek page to drag and drop an existing site into CityDesk. But now when I view the pages in normal view, I get broken images. I checked the code and everything is in order. Any ideas?

Tara
Thursday, December 05, 2002

Check links (e.g. do image refer to original site, or are they translated to magic names).
Check scripts: this is not handled by citydesk. Javascript is often used for rollover menu's etc.

Adriaan van den Brand
Friday, December 06, 2002

I don't understand the magic name thing. What is a magic name?

Tara

Magic names are file names that are used within CityDesk, and that then get translated into regular URLs when you publish the site.

If you right-click on an article or an image file, and you choose "Copy Magic Name", you can then paste that name into the appropriate spot in your HTML file.  This will probably solve your problem of missing images.

Hmm, I see that I probably haven't explained this very well.  Play around with it a bit yourself, and I think you'll understand it.

Alex Chernavsky

Are you telling me that in order to use citydesk for this existing site, I have to manually copy and paste 150 magic names into 8 different templates in order to get it to work?  That seems unnecessary and ridiculous. Please tell me I am misunderstanding.

Tara
Tuesday, December 17, 2002

Tara, No misunderstanding.

If you import a page, CityDesk will manage the magic names.  If you drag it in, it won't.  I expect that if the Fog folks had time, or have time, they'd do better imports.  I think that it was not the highest priority because just dragging a site doesn't allow you to take advantage of templates, scripts, and articles and working on import functionality wouldn't advance the function of CityDesk itself.

If you just drag in a site that you had managed in FrontPage or Dreamweaver, you'll lose a lot of editing functionality without gaining the unique benefits of CityDesk.

I imagine the Fog folks worry a little about it ever day.  A weak import featrue deters some sales, and certainly frustrates customers.

In my case, I haven't converted some sites yet in hopes of a better import, or an add-in program, or something.  I have brute-force converted others and I'm very glad I did.

tk

Thanks TK. I am going to try the import now.

Tara

ARGH! I can only import one page at a time! And not only that, each page has the same graphics making up the button bar and banner, but each separate page import generates a new "pictures" file!

Tara

Tara, I feel for you.  I think you've experienced the whole misery.  Take a stiff drink or long walk and then just brute force it.

I'm about to import a cleint's site that the original designer never finished.  It's just 4 pages but half of each page is java scripts dealing the menu button image rollover stuff.  It even has a least 4 different "spacer" gifs.  If I import the 4 pages, I'll get the very same menu graphics 4 times!

I'm throwing the graphic menu buttons out and making CityDesk generate the menu.

If my customer wants another page (and I know she will because it's so easy to do in Citydesk), I won't have to make a new graphic for the button.  It's going to make the site so much easier to manage that I'm expecting my customer to take it over.

tk

Joel answered this question for us!

Basically, you import ONE of the pages, then create a new template by copying and pasting the code of the page you imported into it and deleting the content. Now you can copy and  paste the content of your pages into that template, via articles, and you only have one set of images.

Now, for the javascript, all you have to do is copy the magic names for those javascript rollovers and paste them into the appropriate spots in your javascript on the template you created.
Much easier than what I was trying to do initially. What I didn't understand was that when I publish the site, the code reverts back to the actual names of the image files.

WOO HOO! This makes my day!

Tara

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home