Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Not XP friendly? (UI nitpicks)

CityDesk doesn't seem to be WinXP friendly, UI wise. The menu bar and tool bar are miscolored. I can send a screenshot if you'd like... (this my dev box, running XP Professional).

Brad Wilson
Wednesday, November 14, 2001

Yes, send a screenshot please (also run IE in the background and include both in the pic)

Michael Pryor

Go run and bought a copy! (you cheap bastard!)

:-)

Leonardo Herrera

We actually have a MSDN Universal subscription, which comes with every operating system under the sun (care to try Windows NT 4.0 SP 4 in Traditional Chinese?) And we have most of them installed as virtual machines under VMWare, which is awesome for testing these kinds of things. But when somebody reports that "blah looks weird" it's always helpful to get a screenshot so we know what "weird" means :)

Joel Spolsky

I've taken a screenshot, which you can see at http://blazing.arsecandle.org/~rod/menubars.png

I've included CityDesk, IE and Notepad.  Notice that the IE Menubar gradiates from light to dark.

This is in WinXP Pro, with the Silver color setting.  I *have* installed a WindowBlinds beta in the past, but it's uninstalled now.

rOD.

rOD Begbie
Thursday, November 15, 2001

It's happening with me as well. I'm using XP Pro final build, the default colour scheme, and I have never installed anything like WindowBlinds.

What I believe is happening is that the menu control is looking at the Menu colour entry (which is white), not the MenuBar colour entry (which is the greyish colour). On previous releases of Windows, they were usually the same, but on XP they are different.

HTH.

Daniel Hill
Friday, November 16, 2001

You're right, Michael figured it out and fixed it.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, November 16, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home