Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Scramble e-mails

Spambots are harvesting our website for e-mail addresses and spamming us.

I've seen some need JS techniques that build the email and link on the fly when the page is rendered. Since nearly none (if any) spam bots use JS, they dont see an e-mail.

This is quite tedious to do in CD, and I dont want to go through my whole site.

Id like to see a simple option in CD that auto "spam protects" all my mailto: links this way.

Chad Z. Hower
Sunday, December 01, 2002

I protect my email address by funneling replies through a feedback form. Besides protetcion this offers a few extra bonuses, i.e. I get the referer-URL (= the context), all those people, that are using web based email only (= no configured client) can answer me and last but not least I can structure the email and therefore process it much easier in an automatic way.

Besides: Having to rely on a Javascript being turned on and fully compatible on the client side probably creates more head aches then building a simple feedback form.

Michael Vesely
Monday, December 02, 2002

hmm. Good idea, but I still like the scambling idea.

Chad Z. Hower
Monday, December 02, 2002

Some email harvesting programs now include JavaScript and can unscramble the email addresses, so it isn't nearly as effective as it once was.

Tim Sullivan
Tuesday, December 03, 2002

Some people render their email in an image. To decode that, spambots would have to do OCR.

I had to abandon the "email address in an image" policy when I realised that the Nigerian scam people were prepared to enter my address manually (probably to a database).

Now, I just don't want my email address on a public site - I use the form option.

Dafydd Rees
Friday, December 20, 2002

The problem with a form method is that you need server-side form processing software.  Pretty easy as a Perl CGI, I know, but still, this is CityDesk--a client-side solution would be great.

David Burch
Wednesday, February 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home