Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Hints on editing photos without destroying page

I have found that if I make almost any kind of change to an article that contains photos, that page will be "destroyed".  The latest example of this just now was that I had a page with 5 photos on it.  I deleted one of the photos by "cutting" it.  That left the caption.  It was unclear how to delete the caption, as it could not be selected at first.  After a few attempts, I was finally able to delete the caption.  Then everything looked fine.  I saved the article, previewed the site, and then foudn that all the pictures had been deleted.

I have had variations on this happen to me many times.  I have pretty much given up on the idea of editng any page with photos, figuring I will have to re-do the entire page (as I am faced with in this situation.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to work around this problem.  Am I somehow taking the wrong approach?

Howard Dunlavy
Friday, November 29, 2002

Boy, you aren't kidding.  In normal view, you can do a backspace sometimes and all your pictures are gone, particularly if your pictures are all in a row, one after another.  If text separates the pictures it's safer.  I don't know why it happens.

The safest way to deal with a article full of pictures is to edit HTML view.

Or, even better, put each picture into an article of its own and use a script to display several of them in an article.  It's a lot easier to move your pictures around too.

I use a script like this:

{$foreach x in (folder "MaraudersWW1\WW1RaiderPics")$}<A href="{$x.link$}">{$x.sidebar$}</A>
<P align=center><A href="{$x.link$}" size="1">{$x.teaser$}</A><BR><BR><BR>
<P align=center>{$next$}</P>

The thumbnail picture is in the sidebar, the caption is in the teaser.  The article just contains the full sized picture.

Here is the page:
http://members.tripod.com/mackenziegregory/log/macslog/MaraudersoftheSea1GermanA.html

Lot's of forum folks have asked for better methods to deal with pictures.

tk
Friday, November 29, 2002

How about popping a table into the article and filling it with pictures?

John

John Cesta
Saturday, November 30, 2002

Tables work too but you have to do HTML.  There have been so many comments about messing with pictures that I expect Fog has it on their enhancement list somewhere.

I think Fog (or a CityDesk plug-in programmer) has to make it simple and foolproof enough so that a non-designer can throw in a bunch a pictures of Aunt Clara's birthday party without resorting to HTML or extra fields.

tk
Saturday, November 30, 2002

I've had trouble with photos in CityDesk too. My solution is to not use captions. They add lots of <span> tags that end up getting messed around after multiple edits, especially if you switch between HTML and Normal view like I do.

Darren Collins
Monday, December 02, 2002

I try not to use "Normal View" at all.  I do all my editing in HTML view, and then I preview using the full-fledged browser.  The results are just too unpredictable from using "Normal View".

Alex Chernavsky
Monday, December 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home