Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

A question about editions and site limits

When they say the home edition is limited to 500 pages, I have two questions:

1) Does that really mean 500 files, including pages, images, etc?

2) Is this per .cty file? Or total among all the .cty files you've worked on?

I'm not trying to get around licensing restrictions. I think software people should get paid for their work.  But I have a number of small to medium sites I've built for customers and would like to get them into CityDesk to make updates easier.  I have no need for multi-user, and wondering if Home will meet my needs until I get some more paying customers. (Several of my sites were pro-bono for charities)

Thanks,
Nony.

A. Nony Mouse
Tuesday, November 26, 2002

Yup, the limit is files, not pages. Images, thumbnails, script files - they all count toward your limit.

The CityDesk web site & documentation are inconsistent on this point - Fog Creek really needs to clarify their policy.

(I don't disagree with the policy, even though it bit me early in my CityDesk usage and I had to pony up extra cash for the no-limits version. A small site with many articles and not so many pictures would fit nicely in the 500 file limit. My site, alas, is not small - and it gets less small with each passing day.)

Pat Rice

For the second question:  Yes, it's per .cty file.  You can have as many different .cty files as you want, all incorporating up to 500 files.

Alex Chernavsky

I was thinking about a "Home Plus" edition without the file limit and without multi-user features.

CityDesk could count your files and when you get close to 500 it could ask if you want to upgrade to "Plus" or "Professional."

tk

Well, I could fit all of my sites into 500 file cty files.  But if it counted all of the sites into the limit, then I'd need professional.

Since the file limit is based on the cty file, then Home would actually work for all but 3 of my sites.  But like I said, I think the CityDesk folks deserve to get paid.

Personally, I think there's room to make Professional a single user, no file limit version for $149 or $199 and then make an Enterprise edition that's multi-user, and no file limit.

But as it is, I'll gladly pay for personal.

Thanks for the info

A. Nony Mouse

I'm getting close to running into this limitation on the personal edition.  I had a few images in my CTY file that I wasn't using, so I took them out.  What would be handy is:

-A way to find out exactly how many files are being used (rather than just getting the "Upgrade now" notice when you're over 500.)

-A way to show all the files that are in the CTY but are not actually being used. 

-A single user "pro" version that doesn't have the 500 file limitation. 

-Some indication as to when the "new version 2.0" is coming.  I don't want to have to pay twice for an upgrade.

I run the web site www.valleyofthegeeks.com as a hobby in my spare time so the step up to "enterprise" is not insignificant. 

How about some help here Joel?

Thanks in advance.

Zack
Monday, December 02, 2002

Until help (hopefully) comes you could split your site into several CD-sites and publish to subfolders. Not a good solution, but it works.

Jorgen Brenting
Monday, December 02, 2002

I found a utility to check for orphans called HTMLRename found at: http://www.xlanguage.com/index.htm  I'm sure there are dozens of similar tools out there, but it still ends up being a manual process since it doesn't know anything about CityDesk.  I'm sure CityDesk could be a lot smarter about this.

In the meantime, I have removed about dozen orphaned files, which should be ok for a while.  I have another dozen I mark with a "hidden" keyword, which I could mark as don't publish after today's date.  Not sure if that would count towards the 500 limit or not.

I feel like I'm a good sport about Citydesk.  I promote it on my site in several places (even using up one of my precious 500 files with a "made with citydesk" gif), I report bugs whenever Citydesk crashes and I don't complain too much.  But I'd still like to get some better answers here by the end of the month.  Citydesk is a wonderful tool, but it still has some areas that need improvement and it would be good to know what is on the docket and what is not. 

Joel, why don't you guys consider doing some kind of NDA web conference that briefs folks about what's coming down the road and line up beta testers if appropriate?  I've recommended citydesk to many people and I'm happy to go on record.

Meanwhile I feel like I'm driving down the highway with a broken gas gauge.  I'm squeezing the steering wheel hard to get a few more miles...

--Zack

Zack
Tuesday, December 03, 2002

Zack, I agree. I have often wondered why Joel and Co. seldom/never answers any questions here. I can't figure out why. The people in this forum are the most dedicated CD users. I just think it would be wise to help them a little once in a while. But I could be wrong of course.

Jorgen Brenting

They have answered bunches of questions but in general they don't comment on future features or releases.  I am confident they have logged all of the problems and feature requests ever posted on this forum and many more we don't know about or haven't though of yet.

Having seen the new features list for the recent upgrade of FogBugz.  I'm expecting a lot from the next CD release.  I'm sure they won't fix everything to our satisfaction but I expect some very clever stuff.

I'm also confident :^) that the Fog folks are literally working 24/7 right now just to justify my optimism.  I sure hope so anyway.

tk

I'm an optimist too, don't get me wrong. And I love CD, but ...

Jorgen Brenting

Having been on the other side of a ship deadline for products like Delphi, JBuilder etc, I understand that Joel and co. don't have time to be responding to these forums.  After all, if it's a choice between writing commentary and writing code, the answer is clear. 

But they should have someone in product management who is on board here dealing more directly with these issues for at least some portion of their time.  If you want customers to be "amazingly happy" it helps to communicate with them regularly; not just when you announce a new version of the product.  Joel and co are doing a lot right, but I think there's the potential to better leverage their user base.

For those interested, here's my humorous take on product managers...
http://www.valleyofthegeeks.com/Features/LonelyAtTheMiddle.html

And project management...
http://www.valleyofthegeeks.com/Features/ProjectManagement.html

Zack
Wednesday, December 04, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home