Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Pre-process before Publishing

Hi,

Is there either:

a) a way of having CityDesk to launch some form of pre-processing activity before a Publish action.. eg to update the contents of a folder or import a folder or something..

or

b) Operate CityDesk from the command line to specify a .CTY file and a Publish Location so that I can integrate CityDesk into internal systems.

Duncan Margetts
Monday, November 25, 2002

You may want to look at Winbatch. It's a pretty darn powerful, flexible and easy to use scripting language. One of the things it does is to automated apps by applying keystrokes and such. I think it could do that for you.

www.winbatch.com

John Cesta

John Cesta
Monday, November 25, 2002

I don't know winbatch, but automating by applying keystrokes is i.m.h.o. risky in that you miss the response. Especially for a program like citydesk. Also, for several actions in Citydesk one may need the location of the external files (%temp%\CityDeskExternal_1234)

Anyone have experiences in combination with citydesk?

Adriaan van den Brand
Tuesday, November 26, 2002

Duncan,

Yes, you can pre-process things. With a little work.

One way is to use an automation tool, I prefer Macro Scheduler www.serveradmintools.com which is VERY good at making sure it knows what window is focused, and determining when you should be able to continue.

Adriaan, this is how I did it before adding my pre-processor. I only changed because I needed much tighter integration, and more speed than simply automating clicks and keys.

Ducan, the other way, is do something like what I have with our order/invoicing system.

What I did there was to get a basic understanding of the CD .cty files, then write some VB code to manipulate the articles I wanted by using TAGS, which were just HTML Comment markers within in the article.

Each time I run my pre-processor, it looks for these TAGS, replaces the HTML code in between them with the updated information from our database and the job is done. You just go to CD and Publish from there.

Highly recommended approach for people trying to tie their web front end to an existing backend system.

Tim Jones
Sunday, December 01, 2002

Hii this is akshay

akshay saigal
Thursday, December 12, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home