Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Links

Can we please have an easy way to change the appearance of a link in an article, specifically to specify what goes between the anchor tags.

When I'm typing away and hit "Ctrl-l" to insert a link to an external site (which I do a lot) I just get the URL in my text. I'd like to be able to specify what should appear between the anchor tags when I create my link, or afterwards using a right click menu.

Andy Todd
Tuesday, November 13, 2001

The easiest way is to type the link text first, and then select it, and then insert the link.

If you've already inserted the link and you want to edit the text in the link, you can still edit it. I find that the easiest way to do this is to select somewhere in the middle of the link, type the new text, and then trim away the old text... For example if you have the link ABCDE and you want to change it to HELLO, sellect BCD, type HELLO, and then delete the A and the E. This bizarro trick makes sure that the <A></A> tags don't get deleted.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, November 14, 2001

Joel, thanks for the tip.

I had *kind of* figured that out, just didn't think it was to intuitive or user friendly.

Andy Todd

That's funny. I'm just enough used to using the Office tools that the "insert into the middle" trick is something I just do without thinking (for instance, if you're editing in Word, and the text you're replacing is bolded... I just go into the middle of the bolded text, type what I want, and trim).

*shrug* Strange what we get used to and don't even think about it...

Brad Wilson

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home