Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

new templates

I made a new template. It looks valid. I looked at it in a browsers nad everything resolves fine. But...

When I create a new article and assign the template it it the edit screen is blank. What could I be doing that would prevent the template from being assigned properly?

Thanks,

John Cesta

John Cesta
Sunday, November 24, 2002

Um, kinda hard to tell without seeing the template, but do you have any scripting in the template.  At least {$ .body $} to load the article into the template??

Jeff Kolker

I don't think the templates are applied until you preview or publish.  You don't see the templates while you're editing an article.

Unless I've been doing it wrong all along?

Jason

No, that is right.  Maybe I misunderstood what was said in the first posting.  The only time you see the Template and article merged is when you Preview or Publish.

Jeff Kolker

Wait a minute. You're correct. I have a template with a header and a footer and in the middle a table with four rows and two columns. I would like to be able to add the content to the table  and publish the page. Is there a way to enter text and have it expand into the proper row and column? I think I need to look at it a little more.

I am not trying to create an article really but rather a consistent page like the one at:

http://cestafamily.com/addition/index.asp

I want to add the text to the middle part under the heading The additions.

I made a template from that page just by removing all the text. Would I create a variable that contains the table and then use that to input the content?

Thanks,

John

John Cesta

Ok, I see now. I need to place a {$ .body $}  tag into the template and when editing the page I need to paste in the table the way I designed it. Then I can add the text and images to the table then publish. That's cool. :-))

John

John Cesta

Actually, I do something similar on my website.  I have a template that has the .body tag, I have an article that has scripting that is referenced to the template, and I use one "sub-article" per picture that gets drawn into the main article.  the "sub-articles" do not need a template.

This works well for me.  Check out the links and pictures at

http://www.faraspence.com

hope this helps...
Jeff

Jeff Kolker

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home