Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

<P> tags being inserted around Extra fields

I think I've found a bug that causes <P></P> tags to be put around the contents of the fields from the Extras tab (Sidebar, Extra 1, Extra 2 etc.) when they are included in an HTML document or template.

I think it is caused by typing something into the field and then deleting all the contents.

The follow steps should reproduce it:

- Create a new CityDesk site
- Edit the index.html Index page so that for each article it should put {$x.extra1$} on the same line as {$x.extra2$}

- Create a new article
- Open the article, go to the Extras tab
- Type something in Extra 1 and Extra 2

- Create a second article
- Open the article, go to the Extras tab
- Type something in Extra 1, Type something in Extra 2
- Delete the contents of Extra 2 and type something new there.

- Preview the site and compare the HTML that is generated for each article's entry.

If you type something into one of the Extra fields and then delete it and leave the field blank I think you get an empty <P></P> tag in the HTML generated.

Hope this is helpful, let me know if you need any more details.

Michael

Michael Josephson
Tuesday, November 13, 2001

razzle frazzle... stupid dhtml edit control....

thanks for the report...

Michael Pryor
Tuesday, November 13, 2001

Michael, have you contemplated the use of another editing control? The only reason I keep using that wicked thing is the ability of paste so many content types...

Regards,

Leonardo Herrera
Wednesday, November 14, 2001

Thanks for the report.

The way CityDesk is supposed to work, it strips <P>...</P> from fields if, and only if, the field consists of exactly one paragraph.

We had a tiny bug that this stripping would not happen. I've fixed it. Thank you very much for the report!

Joel Spolsky
Friday, November 16, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home